Exploitshield Browser Edition - Another "raincoat" For Your Surfing Protection

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

I came across this last week and I am currently using it successfully (it appears anyways) on my Windows pc so I thought I would pass this on to those who might find it of use.

( :wave: to our ubuntu friends...yes I am lookin' at you ... :bonk: ooooouch...okokok...I take it back) :hystery:

...anyways here's the scoop:

ExploitShield Browser Edition is free for home users and non-profit organizations. It includes all protections needed to prevent drive-by download targeted attacks originating from commercial exploit kits and other web-based exploits. These type of attacks are used as common infection vectors for financial malware, ransomware, rogue antivirus and other types of nasties not commonly detected by traditional blacklisting antivirus and security products.

http://www.zerovulnerabilitylabs.com/home/exploitshield/browser-edition/

Did I mention it was a free download?

Cheers~~

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sir, I applaud your attempts to help those inflicted with the dreaded Windows disease... hehe! Yes, I too wish there was something out there that would make Windows safe for everybody. Then I wouldn't be regarded as the evil pusher of Linux and I could sit back and enjoy another cold San Magoo without fear. I am afraid to tell you that I don't think this product is all they say.

They say they are not an anti-virus program. I consider that true as they don't as much as most GOOD anti-virus programs can do. Other than that, they don't do anything that a good anti-virus program will do also. It's in their print - a person just has to read what they are saying in their roundabout way. Notice they say "most" anti-virus programs? They are counting all the garbage ones out there to make theirs sound better. Try comparing them with McAffee, Norton, AVAST or even (my fav) AVG Free! Really, I read for less than one minute before I had to ask myself this question....

Are they nuts?

"HOW TO TEST: In order to test exploits we recommend visiting exploit kits in-the-wild. Every day we post some fresh exploit kit URLs in our Malicious / Drive-by URLs forum."

They want you to go to sites and see if it infects YOUR computer? Seriously, if someone is running Windows, testing like this isn't going to do you any favours! How will you know if it works? You won't until it's too late! That is - if these truly are malicious sites! It wouldn't be the first time someone used "malicious' sites that really aren't for their examples. Usually these are just sites that have their certificates out of date - an example recently was Google itself! I really don't think I would trust this company personally!!!

If you must run Windows, get 2 good anti-virus programs installed - one for everyday use and the other to run once a week just to ensure your regular program did the job. If you don't really need to stay on Windows? Do yourself a favour and at least try Linux. You can download Linux for free in the form of what is called an ISO file and then you burn it to a DVD - drag and drop is soooo hard - and then try it without affecting how your computer is set-up. It's called a LiveDisk. Yes, it will be a bit slow as you are operating a full operating system from a DVD. If you like what you see, you can install it then and there from that same DVD. It's no harder than installing Windows - actually it's easier! Or you can even set up for a dual-boot and use Windows only when you need to. The set-up / install procedure can help you do it this way too. The more you can do to set yourself up to be worry-free from viruses, the easier life becomes! But do it without becoming a guinea pig for somebody else!

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

I practice the "belt and suspenders" model...use Malwarebytes, CCleaner, ESET Smart Security (tried the free versions of the popular ones and decided to actually pay for licenses the last 3+ years) ..update windows/all other loaded programs at every opportunity...run the usual addons/extensions (no script, etc)...

I have tried linux and for the time being it is not my cup of coffee...although I do have it loaded on a spare laptop that is destined for my PI family next year...I need to use it more when I have some downtime to gain more understanding...

You have outlined a good plan to set up dual boot system and you have peeked my interest enough to get me to thinkin'...scary thought that it is....and by no means am I allergic to going down the Linux path.

As for Exploitshield it runs in the background currently and is not causing me distress so I will run it as another roadblack for any uninvited guests that might show up...as for participating in their driveby exploit forum to have some fun - "testing"...well that is definitely not on my things to do list.

I genuinely appreciate your valued feedback and participation!

Cheers~~

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank you sir!

I was going to give you the whole song and dance on what I have done in computers but I might save that for another day...

What version and distribution Linux do you have on your laptop? I might be able to recommend a better one for you - and maybe easier to use.

Edited by I am bob
edit