My Hometown

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted

Inspired by Lee's photos from his condo, I wanted to show some pictures from back home.Oslo is the capital of Norway and is what I call a small big city. 500.000 inhabitants, about 1/10 of the Norwegian population live here. The city is about 1000 years old. The scenery is actually not that much different from Cebu, surrounded by mountains and by the sea. We live in the suburbs about 10 km south east of city centre. Across the street is the forest which we call "Oestmarka". Oslo is surrounded by forests and lakes where you can find absolutely peace in mind. Take your bike or walk a short or long trip. Bring your fishing equipment and you may catch something for dinner - pike, perch or if you'r lucky: trout. Eel and some other sorts is also to be found, or cancer. My friends and I go twice a year on a weekend trip to one of these lakes. We bring a canoo, some food and sleep under the stars. Noklevann is 5 minutes walk from our apartment. In the winter you can go cross country skiing, or go skating on the lakes. I regularly see deer in the forest. They are shy but still used to people, so if you see one and are quiet they may stand still for a while. There are also a lot of moose, every fall they are hunted and the meat is lovely. We used to have wolfs here before, but they haven't been spotted around Oslo for a while. Brown bears was also common earlier, but they were also hunted and you can only find them in the deep forests close to Sweden, and way up north. Despite the rumours, there are no polar bears in Norway. They do exist at Svalbard, an island between the mainland and North pole. Trolls and other creatures are a part of Norwegian folklore. The trolls were large and strong, but considered quite stupid and easy to fool. People also thought there were creatures living inside mountains, and that they sometimes changed a child with their own at birth. That's how they explained any bad behaviour of a child - had to be a troll.Looking back on these pictures reminds me of things I miss back home. Unspoilt nature, clean water - you can drink the water from almost every lake.Walk on,Lars

post-53-1238350403_thumb.jpg

post-53-1238350426_thumb.jpg

post-53-1238350446_thumb.jpg

Noklevann.bmp

post-53-1238350497_thumb.jpg

post-53-1238350540.jpg

post-53-1238350564_thumb.jpg

post-53-1238350583_thumb.jpg

post-53-1238350596_thumb.jpg

Steve
Posted
Posted

Very Nice !

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Very nice pictures Lars. :th_thholysheep: You and everryone else, should put some into our gallery for all the readers to see. I wish they had attached cabins or row houses like the ones in your pictures here in Cebu. Those look neat. Maybe that would be an idea to have built here.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Inspired by Lee's photos from his condo, I wanted to show some pictures from back home.Oslo is the capital of Norway and is what I call a small big city. 500.000 inhabitants, about 1/10 of the Norwegian population live here. The city is about 1000 years old. The scenery is actually not that much different from Cebu, surrounded by mountains and by the sea. We live in the suburbs about 10 km south east of city centre. Across the street is the forest which we call "Oestmarka". Oslo is surrounded by forests and lakes where you can find absolutely peace in mind. Take your bike or walk a short or long trip. Bring your fishing equipment and you may catch something for dinner - pike, perch or if you'r lucky: trout. Eel and some other sorts is also to be found, or cancer. My friends and I go twice a year on a weekend trip to one of these lakes. We bring a canoo, some food and sleep under the stars. Noklevann is 5 minutes walk from our apartment. In the winter you can go cross country skiing, or go skating on the lakes. I regularly see deer in the forest. They are shy but still used to people, so if you see one and are quiet they may stand still for a while. There are also a lot of moose, every fall they are hunted and the meat is lovely. We used to have wolfs here before, but they haven't been spotted around Oslo for a while. Brown bears was also common earlier, but they were also hunted and you can only find them in the deep forests close to Sweden, and way up north. Despite the rumours, there are no polar bears in Norway. They do exist at Svalbard, an island between the mainland and North pole. Trolls and other creatures are a part of Norwegian folklore. The trolls were large and strong, but considered quite stupid and easy to fool. People also thought there were creatures living inside mountains, and that they sometimes changed a child with their own at birth. That's how they explained any bad behaviour of a child - had to be a troll.Looking back on these pictures reminds me of things I miss back home. Unspoilt nature, clean water - you can drink the water from almost every lake.Walk on,Lars
Good pics,like a breath of fresh air,I think I seen Mr Lee in one of those photos SugarwareZ-005.gif

brock
Posted
Posted
Good pics,like a breath of fresh air,I think I seen Mr Lee in one of those photos SugarwareZ-005.gif
Thought it was you after a night in the silver dollar

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Thought it was you after a night in the silver dollar
Sometimes I did look like that the day after,if not felt like it,I miss the Philippines :SugarwareZ-037: :wt-hell: