Bi Assures Faster Processing Of Tourist Visa Extensions

Steve
Posted
Posted

BI ASSURES FASTER PROCESSING OF TOURIST VISA EXTENSIONS NOVEMBER 6, 2012

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) assured foreign tourists who wish to prolong their stay in the country that the processing and approval of their applications for extension of stay will be further expedited.

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. made this assurance after he issued a memorandum order transferring the agency’s visa extension section to the office of the BI commissioner.

The visa extension section is responsible for processing all applications for extension of stay of tourists whose visas are expiring or have already lapsed.

It accounts for a large chunk of the BI’s revenue collections as the applicants are assessed extension fees and fines and penalties are imposed on overstaying tourists.

David said he was assuming direct supervision and control over the said office to ensure that “all applications for tourist visa extensions are promptly approved or acted upon with utmost dispatch.”

He explained that the visa extension section, which was previously under the immigration regulation division, will now be under the commissioner’s direct executive supervision to “further improve efficiency, accountability and transparency” in the agency’s frontline services.

David underscored the important role of the visa extension section in helping government succeed in its efforts to draw more foreign visitors and boost the tourism industry.

“Thus, we should extend the most efficient service to these tourists, many of whom end up engaging in businesses here that generate jobs for our people,” the BI chief added.

In his memorandum, David directed the visa extension section to continue acting on applications for extension of stay of so-called non-restricted foreign nationals, or those who do no need entry visas in traveling to the Philippines .

Applications for extension of stay by visa-required foreign nationals shall, henceforth, require approval by the commissioner or the associate commissioner to whom such function he might delegate.###

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I'm reminded of a song by Tom T. Hall

I knew I had to ask him

About the mysteries of life

He spat between his boots

And he replied

"It's faster Visas

Younger women

Older whiskey

More money"

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

My god ... if the BI gets any faster they will have my paperwork done before I leave home ..... last time I was there it took 15 mins and we were out of there ....... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ....... but that was for my annual visitation rights .... :mocking:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I thought mine was quick Mike at 29 mins but 15 mins has to be a record.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I remember the good old days before the Express service became mandatory. I would ask for the supervisor and explain that I do not want express service. Then I would hand in y passport, pay the fee (no express charges then), and come back in 2 weeks to pick up the passport. In and out in 10 minutes but had to make a second trip in 2 weeks. Cannot do that now.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I remember the good old days before the Express service became mandatory. I would ask for the supervisor and explain that I do not want express service. Then I would hand in y passport, pay the fee (no express charges then), and come back in 2 weeks to pick up the passport. In and out in 10 minutes but had to make a second trip in 2 weeks. Cannot do that now.

You mean the NON EXPRESS SERVICE OPTION is no longer available?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
You mean the NON EXPRESS SERVICE OPTION is no longer available?

It has not been an option for a couple years now. It was Jan 1 of 2009 or 2010 (not sure now) when that changed. After that when I went to see the supervisor he was ready for me with an official memorandum to show me that the 'express' service in now compulsory on all renewals, which makes it just another tax with a harmless sounding name.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Just another way to suck money out of foreigners.

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I thought mine was quick Mike at 29 mins but 15 mins has to be a record.

Yes I agree and the funny thing was it was my asawa that took care of it as I was wearing my cargo shorts ..... the guard looked a little disappointing when I handed my asawa my paperwork and said here you handle it as I'm over 65 ..... I guess he thought we would have to come back later ...... she came back so fast (I had to sit outside) I thought we forgot something ...... I made sure I smiled sweetly at the guard and said thank you on our way out ..... :mocking:

A couple of hints ..... go during mid-week and be there at 8:00am ..... but like I said it was just my yearly registry .....

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1