Taking A Samsung Galaxy Duos From Rp To Usa? Works?

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Taking a Samsung Galaxy DUOS (bought at SM Mall, Cebu) from RP to USA? Works?

I'm guessing phones here in Philippines are all unlocked and will work there on StraightTalk or similar pre-paid. I found this in the online specs.

• EDGE / GPRS (850 / 900 / 1,800 / 1,900MHz)
  • HSDPA 7.2 (850 / 1,900 / 2,100MHz)

Any geeks out there with knowledge. :3_8_14[1]:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Taking a Samsung Galaxy DUOS (bought at SM Mall, Cebu) from RP to USA? Works?

I'm guessing phones here in Philippines are all unlocked and will work there on StraightTalk or similar pre-paid. I found this in the online specs.

• EDGE / GPRS (850 / 900 / 1,800 / 1,900MHz)
  • HSDPA 7.2 (850 / 1,900 / 2,100MHz)

Any geeks out there with knowledge. :3_8_14[1]:

If you were using prepaid plans since you bought the phone, it should be unlocked and will work over there with a prepaid SIM. My GF's older dual sim Samsung phone worked when she was visiting. She set up her SUN sim for roaming, just for emergencies and a few texts. I know that is not what you want but I just wanted to mention it, because it did work on the US network. If you have a postpaid plan and phone, there is a good chance it is locked, just like they do in the US. You could have it unlocked before you leave. I'm not an expert on this so hopefully you will get some other answers.

Actually my real motive here was to ask you how you liked the phone. I was looking at them the other day and almost bought one. Good phone?

(Edit: P.S. her phone is a 3G. As Dave mentioned, I think duo band is dead in the US)

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The quad band will work for sure. Not certain about the tri band band maybe. Duo band for sure not

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

1. If you were using prepaid plans since you bought the phone, it should be unlocked and will work over there with a prepaid SIM. ...

2. Actually my real motive here was to ask you how you liked the phone. I was looking at them the other day and almost bought one. Good phone?

1. I think that is just what I want to know. We are using Sun and Globe prepaid here in Cebu. Thanks. :dance:

2. :541: Yes! It is a keeper. ONE negative is that if someone texts you on SIM2 and you are using SIM1 you have to manually switch to SIM2 to respond or it labels the outgoing text as the wrong SIM and is confuses people. It should allow SIM selection when sending. Very nice operation especially for my girls small fingers. If I used it a lot I would probably have to get a pointing device as the numbers are small on the phone dialing screen & I get the wrong one frequently.

Any more replies are appreciated as the more the merrier! :540:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
If I used it a lot I would probably have to get a pointing device as the numbers are small on the phone dialing screen & I get the wrong one frequently.

Yes, that is important to me too. There are a few models of the Duos. I might have been looking at one that has the small tactile keyboard and a smaller screen, like a Blackberry. Not sure.

• Like 1