The Lumads Are Here

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

The Lumads are here in Davao, they are the Indigenous people from the hinterland areas Marilog, marahan, Budda, they come down from the hills every year at this time and stay untill Dec 26th for Christmas, the City of Davao tries to keep them out but no luck, they have a P10 Million budget to feed them, they are here in Calinan all the time and are no trouble, but it is because they come to buy and sell goods, but the Christmas Lumads are looking for food and whatever else they can get,they sleep everywere , go to the CR any place, they do not come as far as my place but close, my father in law is from the Hill and he will give them left over rice, most speak their own dialect so they don't understand tagalog, or bisaya. The Vice Mayor says he cannot force them from the city they have the same rights as everyone, they are truley the very poor in the Philippines

• Like 5

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
The Vice Mayor

I thought he was the MAYOR for all purposes,

well at least he does try to help the poor.

OKIE BOY for those who dont live in the peoples republic

could you share with us what are these "LUMADS"?

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Great topic Okieboy, Thanks for sharing your knowledge. There are a small number of Lumads who travel to Butuan and the surrounding area. They usually bring fruits or other goods to exchange for rice. When we are there we will contribute what we can. We always have clothing and misc. items which they seem to really appreciate. We see them mostly at fiesta time. You're fortunate to see them at Christmas time as it must be rewarding for the soul to share at this time of the year.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well also get the usual transients from somewhere this time of the year however they are only beggars and reside on just about every major street corner ...... usually women with long dirty dresses and carrying a baby on their back in a sling with 2-5 dirty young children hanging on to them ..... Sunday is the worst time as the traffic enforcers aren't working and they flood the intersections ...... usually a week after Christmas they go back into the hills ..... :cheersty:

• Like 1