I'll Be @ The Lotus Garden In Ermita, Manila, How Safe Is The Area?

Friendlyguy
Posted
Posted

I'm booked at the Lotus Garden Hotel @ Mabini corner Padre Faura Streets. I'd like to do some shopping in that area and wonder what's nearby and how safe the area is.

GregZ
Posted
Posted

I just stayed in that area for a week @ the Gran Prix Hotel. There is a Robinson's Mall a short walk away. Inside the mall no problems. It is a huge mall also. :thumbsup:

On the street there are a lot of beggars, especially children. Being 6' tall white guy I GOT WAY TOO MUCH ATTENTION from them. If you see my driver's license and credit cards please let me know. Some kids got them on one of the smaller streets there. Don't carry a lot of cash (lucky I didn't), keep your hand on wallet or money and should be no problem. If I could do it over I would not have even carried my I.D. or credit cards :bash: as I was not using them and the replacement plus getting them sent to me in Cebu City is a royal pain.

Best of luck and ENJOY yourself!!! :cheersty:

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I'm booked at the Lotus Garden Hotel @ Mabini corner Padre Faura Streets. I'd like to do some shopping in that area and wonder what's nearby and how safe the area is.

I had stayed in that area in 2001-2002 , I had VERY FEW issues or problems. what i did, is

1. avoid contact or acknowledge the street kids/beggers.

2, keep very litttle cash on person (had then had a BPI-ATM express card for my cash needs)

3, do not entertain "friendly" females who are in need of companionship.

4 dont tell anyone the exact location of where your at.

( i will PM you the story if you wish)

5 stay on well light streets.... dont LOOK LOST or LOOKING for "companionship"

6 NEVER accept drinks from unknown persons or LEAVE YOUR DRINK UNATTENDED.

7. know a few words of spanish ,why? when they bother you. just pretend you dont understand,

I liked that area .but only during the day light .after dark it can has become very UNSAFE,

good luck on your stay,

8. BEWARE OF THE MONEY CHANGERS. (read this twice) ,

• Like 3

Friendlyguy
Posted
Posted

Thanks 4 the advice. I'll stick with daylight hours for my walks and use cabs as much as possible. I'm not interested in friendly females and won't be checking out the bars.either. I'll carry as little cash and ID as possible. I'm sorry you guys had some trouble in that area. I hope my luck is with me. I spent my formative years in NYC so I learned what survival on the street was all about, I keep myself prepared for any perceived threat. Hopefully I'll just have a wonderful time with my fiance.

• Like 4

The phantom menace
Posted
Posted

I have stayed in this area many times,never had any problems,just use common sense.You have been given good advice from others here.Note: the money changer directly outside the front door of the lotus garden is affiliated with the hotel.I change my money there.The rate is better than inside the hotel and the business centre in the mall and never had any problems with them.

Cheers.

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Thanks 4 the advice. I'll stick with daylight hours for my walks and use cabs as much as possible. I'm not interested in friendly females and won't be checking out the bars.either. I'll carry as little cash and ID as possible. I'm sorry you guys had some trouble in that area. I hope my luck is with me. I spent my formative years in NYC so I learned what survival on the street was all about, I keep myself prepared for any perceived threat. Hopefully I'll just have a wonderful time with my fiance.

Cabs or the tricycles are a good idea to keep one off the street. btw: I now live in Pasay (one jeepney ride away from this area) and it is NOTHING like that area around Saint Luke's Extension Clinic. Just regular city living now. My opinion of Manila has gotten better over the last week. :christmas_emoticons_187: I'm happier back in Cebu though.

• Like 1