Strange Food Ideas In The Phils

Curley
Posted
Posted

Has anyone else noticed that some universal foods are different in the Phils? Buttered chicken...... now that sounds to me like chicken cooked in butter....... not in the Phils. Scrambled eggs? The Phils version of scrambled eggs is an omlet in the rest of the world. When in the top hotel in Zamboanga city, (which is also part of the university for hotel management), I asked for a Tanduay ice and was told "sorry sir we don't have it but we have San Miguel light". I explained that I didn't want a beer but something similar to Tanduay ice if they didn't have that. The head barman then became involved in the conversation and he assured me that Tanduay ice was a beer, his reasoning? There are two beer companies that supply bars and they used the company that supplied San Miguel light...... the "other company" supplied Tanduay ice and it is 5% alcohol so it must be a beer!

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Has anyone else noticed that some universal foods are different in the Phils?

No. (I eat common food seldom.) But I have noticed they have odd mathematics :) e g:

/20 000p profit plus money back in 4 month at a 20 000p investment (=300% profit per year for no work) "isn't much percent"!

/58 000 sq m á 350p plus 5000p/tree for around 650 trees = 5 800 000p according to the seller (But that's = 23 550 000p, "only" around 18 mill wrong :hystery:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Yesterday my wife asked her father if he knows where Australia is located and he said in America. Everything in this thread and much more can be summed up as ignorance. Most Filipinos are very ignorant when it comes to knowing things about the rest of the world.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Most Filipinos are very ignorant when it comes to knowing things about the rest of the world.

such a true statement and ...VERY... Ignorant too... knowing local history too

( or knowing the family trees of their,,,,,,,elected officals)

example . I asked who are the people on the 1000p bill? and what is their contribution to the RP?

DONT KNOW. oh. some of the older ones(over 45) know...

..but the younger ones,,, :th_hu:

off topic. who are the ones on the 1000p and what did they do? how did 2 of them die?

trivia question,

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I don't know where this thread is going. Is this another general rant about the Philippines?

Regarding universal food like ketchup -- it is often times used to make spaghetti sauce. A

cold San Magoo is sometimes served with ice -- I take it straight from the bottle. I like to eat

pizza with my hands, unlike some Pinoys using the fork.

Let's get back on track, please -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I don't know where this thread is going. Is this another general rant about the Philippines?

Regarding universal food like ketchup -- it is often times used to make spaghetti sauce. A

cold San Magoo is sometimes served with ice -- I take it straight from the bottle. I like to eat

my pizza with my hands, unlike some Pinoys using the fork.

Let's get back on track -- Jake

To give some ballance I can remind of what I wrote in an other topic a while ago - Compared to education chance, Americans in average know very little about the world outside the own country. I wrote several funny examples there.

Concerning strange - My favorite sport is named "American FOOTball", although using almost only HANDS :hystery:

Edit: And to add even more ballance - Swedes surely do strange things too :)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

I'm with you Jake, masarap ang kamayan, one for pizza and one for my favorite beverage.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Yesterday my wife asked her father if he knows where Australia is located and he said in America. Everything in this thread and much more can be summed up as ignorance. Most Filipinos are very ignorant when it comes to knowing things about the rest of the world.

Strange. As a freshman college student in California, I had the highest test score in both American history and California history. The professor explained that most universities and colleges (the two subjects were requirements at the time during freshman year) had a similar experience. The foreign students usually scored highest.

Americans had nearly zero knowledge about the Philippines including its approximate geographic location. They also encountered difficulty locating Europe on a world map. One possible reason is public schools stopped teaching geography as a separate subject by the mid 1960s. Western Civilization and world history was no longer considered important in high school curriculum. It still did not explain why Americans knew less about American history and Californians about California history.

• Like 4

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

my pizza with my hands, unlike some Pinoys using the fork.

Let's get back on track, please -- Jake

Sorry Jake , since i had not had the chance to post my feelings before I had to post,

since I have run out of my houndriver creme, its not been the same... :hystery:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I guess the strangest thing I have seen concerning food in the Philippines was watching my wife's sister who was 17 years old eat popcorn with a table spoon, especially since she eats almost everything else with her hands. Only God knows what she was thinking.

• Like 3