My First Week After Retirement In The Province With The Girlfriend

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)
Imagine all the work and shopping involved in setting up a household when you are starting from scratch.

Tell me about it... Just did it for the SECOND time here in Manila. The first place in Cebu City WE built, then moved to another one WE built! So we had stuff on the second one there and it doesn't count. THIS time we rented furnished. :28: Spent around p40,000 the first time with fridge and all (borrowed A/C from uncle) and under p10,000 this time. That first one though includes no bed frame or other such luxury.

AND - Sounds like you are doing GREAT... Hope the trend continues. MERRY CHRISTMAS and WELCOME to RP semi-permanently.

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 5

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Sounds as though you're really making a home there. Good for you ! ! ! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Needless to say I have been very busy the first week after arriving for my first long term stay in the Philippines with my girlfriend. My access to the internet has been limited and I have been too busy to participate in the forum.

I should have more time in the next week as we get more settled in and better internet access. I now have an unlimited monthly data plan for my smart phone which I have setup as a wifi hotspot tether for our laptops. Internet speed varies. Sometimes very good other times slow.

I arrived with 2 large checked bags, a carryon bag and a backpack. Mostly clothes and pasabulong. The goal is to find a place for me and the girlfriend to live for the next 5 months before I return for a few months back to the USA. The girlfriend has always lived with her family so this is all new to her. Imagine all the work and shopping involved in setting up a household when you are starting from scratch.

Her family has been great. Helping us when asked but staying out of our way otherwise. The girlfriend has a motorbike and her family has a tricycle with a cargo side car, those have been a big help.

This post was interrupted by a trip back to the family home for some dinner. I also took some emperador and sat down for the first time since I arrived to have a few drinks with her father and his closest employee.

We have a studio apartment now of about 350 square feet for 5000/month. A CR with shower and flush toilet, no hot water. The kitchen only has a sink so we had to buy a gas burner and LPG tank, a refrigerator and a microwave. For me I really needed aircon, especially so I sleep better at night, so we had to buy an air conditioner and install it. The locks on the doors were inadequate so I bought a deadbolt key lock which I had installed on the front door and manual inside dead bolts for both the front and back balcony door. I am getting exercise and a workout from climbing the steps to the third floor of our apartment, often carrying things we have purchased to setup the household.

We just drove around looking for For Rent signs. But we ended up in an apartment that we found out about through her family and network of friends.

At this point I couldn't imagine doing this big move without the support of my girlfriend and her family. It really has helped make everything go relatively smoothly.

I have been keeping all the receipts and at some point will total them all up to get the initial cost for setting up the household. Since this is just temporary I have not been looking for quality when making my purchases, just wether it will meet our needs

In earlier posts I spoke about some of the cultural and personality issues we had during my first visit to meet my girlfriend 2 months ago. On this visit things have gone very well. She is more confident in our relationship and has been a very pleasant person to be with. Though it will take time for her to adjust to spending more time away from her immediate family.

To this point my experience has been very positive. This forum had been a great source of information which in part has helped make this move a positive experience.

What did it cost you for the unlimited data ?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's really cool you finally made the big move I hope you both find true happiness. :thumbsup:

Having a family and GF so supportive and helpful is key to a good life in Philippines IMO.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sounds like we have another happy customer from the Dr JollyGoodFellow School of Expats !

Seriously - you sound very happy and content now! I am jealous sir! Hopefully I can follow in your footsteps in just a few short months...

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
350 square feet

Less problem to fill the home, when not much space left when put in the kano :hystery:

Just joking. That's surely enough to start with.

Edit: I better make an own topic of a second part.

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
What did it cost you for the unlimited data ?

I am using the Smart Unlimited Surf plan for 999/month with a 6 month contract with my Samsung Galaxy S2. With the MagicJack app I can use this phone for US phone calls.

I still use my old clamshell phone with Smart Buddy for Philippine phone calls and SMS that I load as needed.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Sounds like we have another happy customer from the Dr JollyGoodFellow School of Expats !

Seriously - you sound very happy and content now! I am jealous sir! Hopefully I can follow in your footsteps in just a few short months...

Thanks. With only a few months until your move the time will start going faster while you get busy making preparations for the move. I know it did for me. As the days got down to single digits I was still scrambling to get everything done for the move.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Merry Christmas to all and thank you for all the encouragement.

• Like 4