Colonel Nick Rowe Usa

Col Rowe  

5 members have voted

1. 1. have you ever heard about him prior to this post?

• yes
    • no
    • perhaps .not sure

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

In a previous topic I brought up Colonel Nick Rowe

altho I never meet the man, I have heard much about him

before I remotely even considered moving here

here is some info on this Hero,

(Its url links as so much info is posted and some is duplicated)

who was killed in Quezon city 21april 1989

USMA 1960

Special Forces "A-team"

POW 1963-1968

JUSMAG 1987-1989

Rowe was only one of 34 Americans who escaped captivity during the Vietnam War.

Who was Colonel Nick Rowe? He was first and foremost a Special Forces Officer.

He was a West Point graduate.

He was a former POW, having suffered for five years at the hands of his North Vietnamese captors before escaping and making his way back to US forces on his own.

He was a teacher in that he founded and taught the U.S. Army Special Forces Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape (SERE) Program which trains military of all branches how to survive if they are separated from their forces,

how to evade the enemy and make their way back to friendly forces, how to resist the enemy if captured, and how to plan an escape.

He was a devout Christian.

He was a real live hero of our times who became a living legend in the Special Forces community until his untimely assassination by guerilla insurgents in the Philippines

On April 21, 1989, Nick was returning to the US Embassy in an armored limousine when hooded members of the communist New Peoples' Army (NPA) attacked his vehicle with automatic weapons. Under normal circumstances these weapons alone would not have been a threat to the occupants of the vehicle. However, "Murphy's Law" of "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong" was in full force. The vehicle's air conditioning had broken down earlier making the inside of the vehicle almost unbearable in the Philippine heat. To compensate but still provide safety, the driver had opened the small window vent to allow fresh air to circulate into the car. Several rounds found their way through the open vent killing Nick instantly.

http://www.psywarrior.com/rowe.html

http://www.arlington...et/jamesnic.htm

lLTCRowe.jpg

So look up ahead at times to come,

despair is not for us.

We have a world and more to see,

while this remains behind.

• Like 1