Stormin' Norman 1934-2012

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Retired US General Norman Schwarzkopf, who led troops in the 1991 Gulf War, has died aged 78, US media report.

Gen Schwarzkopf - known as Stormin' Norman - was commander of coalition forces in the first Gulf War in 1990-91.

best quote he made was

"As far as Saddam Hussein being a great military strategist,

he is neither a strategist, nor is schooled in the operational art,

nor is he a tactician, nor is he a general, nor is he a soldier:

other than that, he's a great military man - I want you to know that," he said

USMA class 56 :thumbsup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20855937

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/28/us/gen-h-norman-schwarzkopf-us-commander-in-gulf-war-dies-at-78.html?ref=global-home

• Like 5

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Stormin Norman Quotes

“War is a profane thing.”

“The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.”

“You learn far more from negative leadership than from positive leadership. Because you learn how not to do it. And, therefore, you learn how to do it.”

“Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.”

“You can’t help someone get up a hill without getting closer to the top yourself.”

“Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion.”

“The day we executed the air campaign, I said, ‘We gotcha!’”

“A professional soldier understands that war means killing people, war means maiming people, war means families left without fathers and mothers.”

“Do what is right, not what you think the high headquarters wants or what you think will make you look good.”

“True courage is being afraid, and going ahead and doing your job anyhow, that’s what courage is.”

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

He was a great leader. Many Americans thought he should have ran for president after his military career.

• Like 1

Gary
Posted
Posted

General Norman Schwartzkopf was a great military leader but i dont think he would have made a good president. He was a little to hot/hard headed. He knew that if he run for president it would have destroyed his military legency.

I would have liked to see Gen. Alexander Haight and Gen. William (Bill) Westmoreland (both of wich i met) be president, but the too knew better.

Going way back I think Gen. Douglas McArthur would have been a good choice. With his personality it would have been fun to sit back and watch to see him lead this country.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I wish I was more of a student of ancient and modern warfare. I find it fascinating that even the

biblical battles are still being studied by future generals. For example, the use of diversion and

deception has been successful against a larger force. I believe General Norman Schwarzkopf

rewrote or reinvented modern warfare still using ancient techniques.

The advance to Kuwait (Desert Storm JAN 1991) was brilliantly deceptive. Fake amphibious and

a rapid armor up the coast, fooled the Iraqis commanders to look the other way towards the sea.

With their backs exposed, the famous Hail Mary or Left Hook maneuver moved in for the kill.

It was game over in 100 days.

• Like 3