Ww 2 Sites. Where Have You Been/visited?

WW 2 sites  

5 members have voted

1. 1. have you ever visited any of the sites listed in article

• yes
    • no
    • doesnt apply,as I dont live here
  2. 2. after reading the article.does it make you want to visit some of the sites?

• yes
    • no
    • i dont live here
    • would like to but no money
    • my mommy doesnt allow me to go out at night

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

found a article in the LATIMES.com site about

WW2 sites here in the RP.

unable to post the photos in the article ,

just access the link.

Hope that you can enjoy..

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-philippines-20121202-photos,0,1791465.photogallery

I have visited Corregidor several times, to me it is so peaceful& quite

if you like quite,no hassles, just peace.solitude ,

Then this is THE PLACE

• Like 2

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

I have visited the Mintal Tugbok district Memorial, i go thru there to Davao City it is a site of a battle in WW2 where the Japanses fought American and Filipino soldiers, out numbered they fought off the Japanese troops and captured the town, PFC James Diamond, Company D 21st regiment was awarded the Medal Of Honer posthumously for his actions against the Japanese, Mintal and the Tugbok Area had a lot of Japanese living there before the war and was known as little tokyo, there is also a Japanese Museum in Calinan as this area has a lot of Japanese Hertiage, my wife is part Japanese Her Grandfather was a Japanese Soldier who fled into the hills, and took a wife of the tribe there,

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the positing, I never saw an article but rather a 13 pictures of ww2 sites. I have been to most so I voted no on questino #2. It was very incomplete. the sites are all iin Luozn. One cannot mention WW2 philippine Memorials without the Tacloban Palo huge MacArthur I shall return monument. Nor the article show the Bataan WW2 memorial Giant white Cross tht you climb up into and view Corregidore there is even a museum there where Gen King surrendered . I have been to sites in Leyte like where the battle of Breakneck ridge occured and have seen Japanese dugouts and pill boxes. nd memorials to the battle of Ormoc Bay atop Ormoc where the one of the hottest naval and arial battles too place.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
PFC James Diamond, Company D 21st regiment was awarded the Medal Of Honer posthumously for his actions against the Japanese,

Here is some info on this Medal of Honor winner.

On May 8, 1945, the 20-year-old private and his unit were trying to cross a river but were pinned down by Japanese rifles and grenades. Diamond charged a Japanese sniper,

killed him with a burst from his submachine gun, then helped his colleagues spray fire at enemies hiding in pillbox bunkers.

The next day, he volunteered to move dead and wounded soldiers to the other side of the river.

Diamond waded through shoulder-deep water several times and was wounded by enemy fire, but he found an abandoned Jeep, loaded some wounded men onto it and drove them to an aid station.

Mortar and artillery fire punctured all four tires by the end of the trip.

When the battalion withdrew a day later, Diamond volunteered to repair a bridge to speed up the maneuver.

Then, on May 14, Japanese machine-gunners and snipers cut off the battalion, and they wounded several Americans. Diamond recruited 10 men to help him carry four of the fallen through 500 yards of dense undergrowth. A Japanese bullet struck one of the rescuers.

“You guys try to get through!” Diamond shouted. He sprinted toward an abandoned machine gun about 50 yards away. The Japanese turned their fire on him, and they killed him just as he reached the weapon. Meanwhile, the rescuers carried the wounded GIs to safety.

The country awarded Diamond the Medal of Honor on March 17, 1946. The Army Reserve Center which opened on the Lakefront in 1970 was named in his honor.

http://www.nola.com/military/index.ssf/2010/11/local_medal_of_honor_recipient.html

http://www.worldwar2history.info/Medal-of-Honor/Luzon.html

http://www.worldwar2history.info/II/Medal-of-Honor/Leyte.html

Here is more info on those who gave beyond the call of duty