Canadian Immigration Has A Soft Spot

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I'm feeling cheerful today because I just discovered that Canadian Immigration has a soft heart after all. I am doing some research into getting my son his Canadian Citizenship Certificate and my wife her Permanent Resident status in Canada. For my son it is just time consuming. They say about 8 months. For my wife, I would have to take her back to Canada to establish residency for her.

So I really don't want to go back to Canada to live. I like it here. But Canadian Immigration are tough buggers and if I leave it until I am dead then my wife and kids will never go there. I want them to have the option. I know that Canadian Immigration is very strict on who they give out PR to and it takes about 8 months to get approved and that is if there is no problem.

Here is the beautiful part. If she can get approved we have to move there. We have to stay there for 4 to 6 months until she gets a Permanent Resident card. Then she has to physically be in Canada for any 730 days during the next 5 years AND, if she accompanies her Canadian spouse (that would be me) on a vacation (to the Philippines of course) then those days are counted as part of her 730 days.

It means we can get her set up, come back here and go back to life as normal, all the time establishing her Canadian Residence AND giving me Canadian tax deductions and baby bonus because we are all residents. Like I said. They have a soft spot.

Disclaimer: Of course I have not done this yet but I am sure going to ASAP. Research tells me there are already lots doing it.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

what are the cost that may be involved, is it like every othere country, nothings free, we are going through the ILR at this moment but this year also we are going to apply for brittish citizen too, yes another cost but long term i think its the best way to go even though we are planning to move to the phils later, like they say you never know went you may need it

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have not totaled the costs but it won't be cheap. On the other hand I can work for few months while we are there to make enough to pay the costs.

• Like 1