Tv Program About Philippines In Aussie

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

I'm just watching a program on SBS called "Island Feast with Peter Kuruvita", just started, looks interesting. if you are in Australia turn it on now or watch it on their website as I guess it is there. I think it's mainly about Philippine food.....

8:00pm - 8:35pm SBS

Acclaimed chef Peter Kuruvita weaves a passage through South-East Asia and the Pacific as he discovers the tradition, passion, and flair behind local cuisines and customs. Peter's expedition begins in the beautiful surrounds of the Philippines. Comprised of over 7000 islands, the Philippines is home to a rich array of natural delights and diverse cultural heritage. Ever adventurous, Peter travels by local means of outrigger boat, tricycle and jeepney, meeting fishermen, chefs, and farmers along the way.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

I will just go to my local Consolacion market for a real local taste of food with a good chance of Phili belly lol

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm surprised that there is such a Mexican influence there... showing a province in south Luzon, very Spanish/Mexican like. I know of the Spanish influence but not of the Mexican...

Well, it was interesting and he just made some simple food from local ingredients. it is on each week so you can see the next episode same time next week if interested...

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I'm surprised that there is such a Mexican influence there... showing a province in south Luzon, very Spanish/Mexican like. I know of the Spanish influence but not of the Mexican...

When the Spanish were starting to lose ground in Mexico and what used to be Mexico (California for example), a lot of the Spanish returned home where they were not comfortable for one reason or another (poor, broke, adventure, looking for their own land, etc). So they moved to the Philippines where there was land for the taking, the locals spoke Spanish (somewhat) and they were in control again (but only for a short while). And they brought their Mexican dishes with them. You can find variations on Mexican foods in the areas where these former Mexican-based Spaniards settled.

• Like 1