Balikbayan Boxes & Remittances From Canada

i am bob
Posted
Posted

This company looks interesting. I will have to contact them to get prices for their shipping of BBs as well as talk to them about how their money transfer is set up. It may be more economical -depending on rates - if I can use them rather than the bank or other money transfer companies to get my monthly cash while I'm there. I can't find out on their website as they have some issues with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Thomas
Posted
Posted
2. The charges for odd size packages such as a large flat screen television are calculated based on volume (total cubic feet). Some clerks are reluctant to admit they don't know how, so they estimate a much higher amount. This is to prevent their boss from scolding them for undercharging. If you have odd size packages, calculate the total cubic feet. Inform the clerk and he/she will look at a chart to determine the amount.

Do you mean there is a law saying the transport companies aren't allowed to chatge extra for odd sized packages??

If I would have such transport company, then I would want to charge extra for them sending shapes, which would mess up my suiting system :) because of making extra work and can make a part of the container have to go empty.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
2. The charges for odd size packages such as a large flat screen television are calculated based on volume (total cubic feet). Some clerks are reluctant to admit they don't know how, so they estimate a much higher amount. This is to prevent their boss from scolding them for undercharging. If you have odd size packages, calculate the total cubic feet. Inform the clerk and he/she will look at a chart to determine the amount.

Do you mean there is a law saying the transport companies aren't allowed to chatge extra for odd sized packages??

If I would have such transport company, then I would want to charge extra for them sending shapes, which would mess up my suiting system :) because of making extra work and can make a part of the container have to go empty.

Thomas, I think you misunderstood what JJR was saying. The standard size boxes come with a standard charge from the transport company, If something doesn't fit, a special size box is made and the charge for that is based on the number of cubic feet the box is. The shippers will have a chart to use for the price they are suppose to charge you.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thomas, I think you misunderstood what JJR was saying. The standard size boxes come with a standard charge from the transport company, If something doesn't fit, a special size box is made and the charge for that is based on the number of cubic feet the box is. The shippers will have a chart to use for the price they are suppose to charge you.

No, I didn't missunderstood.

Who says it has to be as the sentence I made red? Isn't it a free market? :) An irregular shape can "destroy" a much biger space than the volume it has itself.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
The shippers will have a chart to use for the price they are suppose to charge you.

Additional clarification. It is the policy of Manila Express, the company owned by my friend, to charge for odd size packages using a cubic feet formula. Other companies can charge whatever they want. How many times have you asked in the Philippines, "How much?" They do a full body scan from what kind of shoes you wear to the thickness of the wallet protruding from your back pocket before quoting a price.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The shippers will have a chart to use for the price they are suppose to charge you.

Additional clarification. It is the policy of Manila Express, the company owned by my friend, to charge for odd size packages using a cubic feet formula. Other companies can charge whatever they want. How many times have you asked in the Philippines, "How much?" They do a full body scan from what kind of shoes you wear to the thickness of the wallet protruding from your back pocket before quoting a price.

ok :)

(Yes, it can be convinient for a biger company to have some simplification concerning odd shaped boxes,

but if it had an irregular shape as e g a bicycle, then I would want to charge for the HIGHEST length x hight x wide numbers, if I had the company, because it mess up that space normaly anyway.)

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
(Yes, it can be convinient for a biger company to have some simplification concerning odd shaped boxes, but if it had an irregular shape as e g a bicycle, then I would want to charge for the HIGHEST length x hight x wide numbers, if I had the company, because it mess up that space normaly anyway.)

You are correct in that the boxes as standard sizes to fill the containers. The price and method of computation for odd size boxes is different.

• Like 1