Hummmmmm ... New Monitor?????????????

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've noticed that sense I got my new monitor I started getting headaches after a couple of hours ..... feels more like a tension headache and only on the left side of my neck and head .... it can be quite painful and sometimes I have it until the next day ..... even my normal pain medication doesn't seem to work ..... if i limit myself to only 1-2 hours a day I don't get them ..... I do wear glasses so I don't think that is the problem ..... and my monitor sits about 24in from me ......... maybe like my grandma used to say ... "it's just the meanest coming out of you" ...... :mocking: .... it's amazing how the oldies but goodies had a saying for everything .... hummmmmmm ... guess I'm an oldie but goodie now .... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well is the height of it comfortable for you? Got to remember your getting older and a wee bit shorter now :mocking:

• Like 3

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

Well is the height of it comfortable for you? Got to remember your getting older and a wee bit shorter now :mocking:

mike is shrinking with age hahahaha joke mike !!!

it just could be mike your use to the older style monitors , same as me sometimes i get a heachache while on on this computer but i have a 42 " as my monitor , so it could be that your other monitor was a different size and your body is trying to adjust to it im sure in a few months u will be ok just make sure you in stall jakes wiper blades on it ok lol and try not to look at too much pron lol

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted
your getting older and a wee bit shorter now

I will kindly ask you to refrain from mentioning specific parts of my body ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :cheersty:

it just could be mike your use to the older style monitors ,
...... that could be it as my old monitor was an LCD square type ..... I did have to make this one a bit darker as it was much to bright for my poor old tired eyes ..... :mocking:
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Sometimes I find I have to twist my monitor a little bit to the left or a little bit to the right. If that doesn't work I switch from leaning on my left elbow and using my right hand, to leaning on my right elbow and using my left hand (on the mouse for those with evil minds). If none of that works I clean my glasses and if I am still getting a headache I take off my hat (the one with the tight fit).

If all else fails I get up and go for a walk or a piece of . . . (whatever suits my fancy) and when I come back - Headache's gone.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Now here's a silly little thing for you to try - check to see what your refresh rate is set to. Sometimes Windows will set this for a wrong setting. This will cause headaches and sore eyes. Yes, there IS a refresh rate on an LCD / LED / PLASMA screen. A good example is mine - I had the refresh rate set incorrectly when I first started using it. I am now set for a refresh rate of 59.9 with a resolution of 1440x900.

Something else to look at now also. Do you have a lamp or overhead light near your monitor? Something to help see the keyboard, etc? Is it one of the new energy efficient bulbs? Try changing it back to a regular light bulb and see if your headaches disappear. The problem with the new bulbs is that they provide a pulsating light at a constant frequency that is not appreciated by our bodies. Changing the bulb until you get used to the refresh on the new monitor and then changing it back in a few weeks / months gives your body time to acclimate to these frequencies better. I once designed the network for a call centre and sourced the equipment required but did not do the install so I didn't see what the rest of the place looked like. At one point over 38% of the staff were complaining of headaches and everybody was blaming the monitors. In other words, they were going to sue my butte off to recover what I had been paid. I showed up at the site, saw that some idiot had supplied every desk with a lamp with these wonderful new energy efficient bulbs (as the engineers had screwed up the lighting and then walked away). For everyone that had headaches, I changed the bulbs back to a regular incandescent bulb and all the headaches (except 2) went away. The other 2 were medical issues caused by the gasses given off by the new carpet. After 4 months, the centre was able to change all the bulbs back to the energy efficient bulbs.

Hope these work. If not, do you think the Mrs will appreciate all the new time you will have for her? :mocking:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the tips guys ....

Bob .... according to my Nvidia control panal for my vid card .... my refresh rate is 60Hz and can't be changed (at least there it can't) the drop down menu doesn't list anything else ...... the resolution is 1920x1080 and lists all kinds of different settings .....

OK sorry about all that above I did find I can change to 59Hz (which I did but windows didn't want to do the changes ..... I did manage to get it changed to 1920x1080 and 59Hz ..... so we will see what that does ..... the lowest I can custom change the 1920x1080 is 50Hz ..... but I think that maybe to low ..... Win$ does say any changes to my settings could damage my monitor and void the warranty .... :cheersty:

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

PM me with your monitor manufacturer, model number and serial number and I will see what I can find out for you.

Almost forgot - also for your video card too

Edited by I am bob
add info
  • Like 1