Comparison: Mactan Vs Bohol For Living Expenses.. Your Thoughts?

Reekay
Posted
Posted

I've been living on Mactan for six months and am now moving to Bohol (Tagbilaran) in six weeks. Mactan has definitely been cheaper for most things than nearby Cebu. I am wondering how Bohol general expenses compare to either Cebu or Mactan.

Main items would be Groceries, Utilities and Rents. I already have a place in the province, but I plan to do some overnight getaways once in a while to Panglao and Tagbilaran. I found a decent bungalow about a block from Alona beach for about 1,100P a night.. not sure if that was a deal or not. It was a decent, clean room with good air-con and CR. Breakfast for 200P the next morning served to my patio which was nice.

Interested in your price quotes from either Bohol, Cebu or Mactan..

Reekay

post-2904-0-18558000-1359066954_thumb.jp

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Speaking of Mactan.... any flooding issues? I had looked at Mactan condo / townhouses 2 years ago and was told by a few people that the island is mostly 'reclaimation' areas and is too low and that the toilets back up in heavy rains due to the rising water table and the septic tanks flood. Do you have any experiences or comments about this?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I'd be interested in your experience of Mactan as well Reekay, it's pretty high on my list right now. As to Bohol, sorry, don't know anything about it.

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a pretty good price for 1 block from the beach. I stayed at a place about 2 km from Danao Beach, Panglao Island which is next to Alona Beach. It was the same price with swimming pool and shuttle to town. Breakfast was included pool-side. They had monthly rates there to rent for 15,000 php / month with everything included (I THINK).

http://tinyurl.com/angocz4 Villa del Pueblo Inn

I just looked it up and now it is 1339 php / night on Agoda... your results may vary. The prices fluctuate a lot with the seasons.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I've been living on Mactan for six months and am now moving to Bohol (Tagbilaran) in six weeks. Mactan has definitely been cheaper for most things than nearby Cebu. I am wondering how Bohol general expenses compare to either Cebu or Mactan. Main items would be Groceries, Utilities and Rents. I already have a place in the province, but I plan to do some overnight getaways once in a while to Panglao and Tagbilaran.

I know nothing about Mactan, but Panglao and Tagbilaran are where it cost MOST at Bohol.  E g land cost often even more than 10 times more there than in other parts of Bohol, which I suppose give costs effects of "everything".

• Like 1

Reekay
Posted
Posted

Speaking of Mactan.... any flooding issues? I had looked at Mactan condo / townhouses 2 years ago and was told by a few people that the island is mostly 'reclaimation' areas and is too low and that the toilets back up in heavy rains due to the rising water table and the septic tanks flood. Do you have any experiences or comments about this?

I've never had that happen at my residence, but in town, in front of Grand Mall it will flood and bring up septic water.  That's probably what everyone is talking about as it's pretty nasty during heavy rains.  Aside from that, no problems I've seen apart from the dirt roads in the shanty town areas.

• Like 1

Reekay
Posted
Posted

I'd be interested in your experience of Mactan as well Reekay, it's pretty high on my list right now. As to Bohol, sorry, don't know anything about it.

The great think I like about Mactan is that it's not the 'big city' that Cebu is.  I prefer low-key towns like lapu lapu and basak.  I rent a one bedroom studio for 4500 pesos a month just two blocks from the Grand Mall.  But I'd say average is about 6300P/month.  It's not 'pretty' apart from some resort beaches but I've enjoyed it.  Now that I have a chance to move to Bohol though I'm going for that for a change.  

You can get to Cebu for either 45P via V-Hire (GT Express) or about 185P via taxi.  Or take the ferry to Cebu for about 25P and then a short taxi ride to either SM mall or Ayala Mall.  I've enjoyed it here, but it depends what you're looking for.  Bohol is more 'green' than Mactan, that's for sure.

• Like 3

Reekay
Posted
Posted

I've been living on Mactan for six months and am now moving to Bohol (Tagbilaran) in six weeks. Mactan has definitely been cheaper for most things than nearby Cebu. I am wondering how Bohol general expenses compare to either Cebu or Mactan. Main items would be Groceries, Utilities and Rents. I already have a place in the province, but I plan to do some overnight getaways once in a while to Panglao and Tagbilaran.

I know nothing about Mactan, but Panglao and Tagbilaran are where it cost MOST at Bohol.  E g land cost often even more than 10 times more there than in other parts of Bohol, which I suppose give costs effects of "everything".

I will be living out in the province, got a 1 bdrm house there for 2650P/mo.  Cheaper than my studio in Mactan and bigger with my own fenced yard so.. couldn't pass that up.  :)  It's 2 miles into town so, not too bad, to get to either the hospital or Island City Mall.  From what I hear it'd definitely cost more to live in town.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

The great think I like about Mactan is that it's not the 'big city' that Cebu is.  I prefer low-key towns like lapu lapu and basak.  I rent a one bedroom studio for 4500 pesos a month just two blocks from the Grand Mall.  But I'd say average is about 6300P/month.  It's not 'pretty' apart from some resort beaches but I've enjoyed it.  Now that I have a chance to move to Bohol though I'm going for that for a change.  

You can get to Cebu for either 45P via V-Hire (GT Express) or about 185P via taxi.  Or take the ferry to Cebu for about 25P and then a short taxi ride to either SM mall or Ayala Mall.  I've enjoyed it here, but it depends what you're looking for.  Bohol is more 'green' than Mactan, that's for sure.

Thanks for the info mate, very helpful.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a pretty good price for 1 block from the beach. I stayed at a place about 2 km from Danao Beach, Panglao Island which is next to Alona Beach. It was the same price with swimming pool and shuttle to town. Breakfast was included pool-side. They had monthly rates there to rent for 15,000 php / month with everything included (I THINK).

http://tinyurl.com/angocz4 Villa del Pueblo Inn

I just looked it up and now it is 1339 php / night on Agoda... your results may vary. The prices fluctuate a lot with the seasons.

we stayed there for a week, very clean and a 15 minute walk to the beach,

• Like 3