Uk Tax Returns. Double Taxation Question

stevet99uk
Posted
Posted

am a UK citizen, but live full time in the Philippines.

Filling in tax return as I am liable to UK tax on income earned there (income from propery rentals, bank account interest, shares/dividends).

There is a double taxation agreement between UK and Philippines. Does this give me the right to claim 'personal allowance' against my UK income?

I believe I am 'not resident' and 'not ordinarily resident' for UK tax purposes having only spent 28 days in the UK in the last 7 years.

on the UK tax return there are 2 questions I am stuck with:-

• Personal allowances under a double taxation agreement or other basis as a
    non-resident
  • Dual Residence under a double taxation agreement

I think I claim yes for the first, but not the second.

Anyone been through this?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Very good topic. I must suggest,( althou you may or will get some good info,)

you search or ask elsewhere inaddition to the forum,,

ask your embassy, ask the Manila Club(that is the British expat club in Manila)

look at the UK tax sites,

ask if there are any UK TAX preparers in your area. and most of all keep your notes.

if your here and there(back home) says that you owe or some error, its very hard to go back there just to "settle" .

By having your notes/detailed record .It just may save you more than $$$ or sleepless nights worrying

You or I dont want to get seemingly "GOOD"advice and afterwards find it out it can bite you on your :buttkick: , cost you many more times in money   that what "you saved"by getting "FREE ADVICE"

any advice/suggestions you receive double check it, may a copy of the "LINK" or "URL"

and of that "info/post/thread" as it may just disappear. ( :thumbsup: )

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Don't UK have as in Sweden? Here the tax organisation have FREE information* service. Just phone or write to them, and they answer.

If it's about much money, I suggest you WRITE UNDEPENDING of if you can phone or not, to get the answer in writing to show as proof if there will be an disagreement with them in the future.

*Except perhaps concerning "Tax planning" special actions to reduce the tax    :mocking:  

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I would suggest you start looking here:  http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/

If you cannot find the answer on the website, you should contact HMRC or, if that is not an easy option, the UK embassy in the Philippines.

Lots of us can give you answers but which - if any - are going to be correct and keep you out of trouble?