Charity Thrift Store... Update

Bruce
Posted
Posted

www.daviethriftstore.org is the site!

An exciting new chapter in the life of the Philippines Basic Needs Charity! I have bought a thrift store which I am hoping will fund the charity undertakings out on Samar.

Tom, aka His Jollyness has once again volunteered to build and host and maintain the website for the charity. That is 3 sites he is looking out for the charity all for FREE!

It is not as easy as it seems because I am not a geek and I really do not know what I want, so Tom has to not only build it, he has to design it and figure out what I really need. I have the easy part of simply sending him some photographs and address and related details. And I do want to thank him for not hitting me for asking stupid questions! Since I do not know what it is that I want in a website.... he has to figure out what can be done and what is not yet possible in this century and then tell me in small words that I can grasp. 

So Tom managed to get it done even with local weather emergencies in his area of Oz and having to work extra shifts. I offered to send a balik bayan box of thrift store dredgings to his wife on Cebu, but all he wanted was (more) beer. How can you beat that deal! He works for beer!

So check out the site when you have time and donate a few extra beers to Tom when he hits Cebu again.    

• Like 5

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Nice site and a worthy cause. It may be helpful to mention on the site that the "Davie" refers to Davie, Florida. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Nice site and a worthy cause. It may be helpful to mention on the site that the "Davie" refers to Davie, Florida. 

Good point, I will have a talk to myself about it in the morning.   :lol:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Will those beers for Tom be tax deductable?

:mocking:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Will those beers for Tom be tax deductable?

:mocking:

Well I certainly hope so! When I agreed to buy him a few beers, I did not realize that in the Aussie system, BEER makes up 4 of the 5 food groups, with brussel sprouts being the 5th... and His Jollyness does not like no sprouts!

Waitress! Can I open a tab?

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

How can you beat that deal! He works for beer!

...hoping will fund the charity undertakings out on Samar.

From the site: "The Davie Thrift Store is set up to fund aid for homeless and sick animals." 

What are the undertakings on Samar?  I thought you were primarily helping humans...  on the thrift store site I also see a reference to canned human or pet food?  Animals in Samar or Florida?  Humans in Samar? :bash:  Very confusing.

If you need more help I also work for beer.  :cheersty:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well if you have ben following the charity here on the Forum.... I have tried marketing the charity work wioth the poor and the kids with minimal success. Then I tried to market the charity doing a sponsor / mentor program for the gay kids, where I thought ( I was sooo wrong) that the gays in the US would donate to a gay to gay themed program.... 

All the while there was charity thrift store in the same plaza and my pawn & gun shop. I kne thew woman running the place and she was doing well always screaming something about saving the animals to her customers...

She wanted to retire and I looked into her store a bit deeper and found out it was a SCAM and she was pocketing all the money and that her store was built around a fake personna.

So i get it and then legalized it with the state and am not trying to market it.

As for people and animals.... I have learned to follow the money. If the donor states animals... then I have a deal in place already with a vet in Samar and a path to follow for delivery of funds or goods. If the donor has not stated a preference then it is humans! And the food bank is for the locals in the area of the store. Donated pet med and supplies will be sent to Samar.

• Like 4