90 Days Visa?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

This is still speculative, but I received information that the Philippine government may announce before the end of April a new campaign that includes encouraging long stay programs in the Philippines. The Department of Tourism has been pushing for a 90 days visa waiver program to compete with neighbors like Malaysia for the Japan, Korea and Mainland China "snowbirds" market. Snowbirds are seniors who spend the winter months in a warm climate area. It's an annual migration. Hawaii is host to tens of thousands every year from Canada, the colder American states and Japan. Because of blizzard like conditions in the East Coast, our Oahu hotel occupancy rate is around 97%.  

The Bureau of Immigration was reluctant to extent the visa waiver from 21 days to 90 days due to potential loss revenues in visa extensions. The compromise proposal, subject to final review and approval, is a person who is 55 years and older may request for a 90 days visa at a Philippine Consulate or upon arrival at the port of entry from an immigration officer. The 90 days visa requires the payment of a fee.

I am hoping the announcement will be made during a conference in Manila sponsored by the Department of Tourism, Philippine Retirement Authority and the Philippine Retirement & Healthcare Coalition (American, European, Japanese, Korean Chambers of Commerce and private industry). I will be attending the conference. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ya gotta be 55 for this? 

Well, that really really really has me upset...  I would have to wait 8 more days if it was available today!   

Oh...  wait...

:mocking:

Hopefully the fee for this will not be higher than just getting the normal extensions along the way...  !  If they really want to build tourism. hopefully they will look at a much smaller fee for this catagory.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ya gotta be 55 for this? 

Well, that really really really has me upset...  I would have to wait 8 more days if it was available today!   

Oh...  wait...

:mocking:

Hopefully the fee for this will not be higher than just getting the normal extensions along the way...  !  If they really want to build tourism. hopefully they will look at a much smaller fee for this catagory.

Yeah, but if you read the very very small print, in Tagalog, it CLEARLY STATES, and I am quoting here...... "(a)pplicant must be over the age of 55 and have a full head of hair".    :hystery:

I am not holding out any real hope here as the Philippine governmental machine is famous for doing things the hard way! There is NO TRANSLATION into Tagalog for that old Kano saying of KISS...... Keep It SIMPLE, Stupid!

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1