Idea - "micro-Mega" :) Wholesale Charity Organisation

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I have noticed:

1. many poor people in PROVINCES know how to produce good products (sometimes don't have starting capital) 

some of them manage to produce anyway, but don't have any good selling contacts, so they have to sell cheap to a trader or sell localy where many do the same so prices are low.

2. many poor in BIG CITIES don't have work, or try to sell some (imported) product, which often cost to much to get enough customers.

How about try to put TOGETHER 1 + 2  = 3  ?     :dance:

=SAME (charity initiated/lead) organisation/company functions as 

/WHOLESALER to shops in big city*

/or RETAIL seller in big city when products suit better for that. (Market, door to door, perhaps even a small shop for tests or "surplus" products having problem to sell elsewhere.

(/perhaps even organice put together several small producers to big enough to EXPORT, but that can wait, can do the "easy" part first   :)

*Sure Metro Manila is big enough, perhaps even have more than one "centrals". Perhaps can some more cities be big enough to suit for this.

Structure:

/Small PROVINCE PRODUCERS functions as common in "Self-to-selfhelp" concerning PRODUCTION (=they get assistance with knowledge and microfinancing) BUT if the local market isn't so good, then they DON'T need to bother about the selling.

/Some poor BIG CITY people get education and work marketing the products.(Perhaps equipment too if needed.)

/BETWEEN them is a NON PROFIT organisation needed (OK to get some salary for the work, but not make any single person earning much). "Headquarter".

This "Headquarter":

/assist handling transports to the big city

/organice the selling

/some transports to shops can be handled direct by them who sell to the shops,   some biger or regular deliveries better be done by drivers

/STORE

/FINANCE the stock and transports.

/Pay producers DIRECT when it's Pre-agreed deals. How to handle the not pre-agreed need some discussion, so the organisation wouldn't be overloaded with products it have problem to sell, and need enough finance capacity too. E g can be similar as book publisher pay type (=Half expected share is paid direct, the rest after period of selling their products.)

Not sure yet where I will settle down, but one of the biger islands ELSEWHERE than Manila. I can be interested in handle the "Help-to-self-help" in a region where I live. Plus if needed I can assist making the organisation structure for the "Headquarter" halfautomatic database and such. BUT I don't want to be in big cities, so someone ELSE need to lead that in place.

Any comments or interested?     Or finance capacity  :)    I surely DON'T have financing capacity for this Headquarter part myself.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I have noticed:

1. many poor people in PROVINCES know how to produce good products (sometimes don't have starting capital) 

some of them manage to produce anyway, but don't have any good selling contacts, so they have to sell cheap to a trader or sell localy where many do the same so prices are low.

2. many poor in BIG CITIES don't have work, or try to sell some (imported) product, which often cost to much to get enough customers.

/or RETAIL seller in big city when products suit better for that. (Market, door to door, perhaps even a small shop for tests or "surplus" products having problem to sell elsewhere.

(/perhaps even organice put together several small producers to big enough to EXPORT, but that can wait, can do the "easy" part first   :)

*Sure Metro Manila is big enough, perhaps even have more than one "centrals". Perhaps can some more cities be big enough to suit for this.

Structure:

/Small PROVINCE PRODUCERS functions as common in "Self-to-selfhelp" concerning PRODUCTION (=they get assistance with knowledge and microfinancing) BUT if the local market isn't so good, then they DON'T need to bother about the selling.

/Some poor BIG CITY people get education and work marketing the products.(Perhaps equipment too if needed.)

/BETWEEN them is a NON PROFIT organisation needed (OK to get some salary for the work, but not make any single person earning much). "Headquarter".

This "Headquarter":

/organice the selling

/some transports to shops can be handled direct by them who sell to the shops,   some biger or regular deliveries better be done by drivers

/STORE

/Pay producers DIRECT when it's Pre-agreed deals. How to handle the not pre-agreed need some discussion, so the organisation wouldn't be overloaded with products it have problem to sell, and need enough finance capacity too. E g can be similar as book publisher pay type (=Half expected share is paid direct, the rest after period of selling their products.)

Not sure yet where I will settle down, but one of the biger islands ELSEWHERE than Manila. I can be interested in handle the "Help-to-self-help" in a region where I live. Plus if needed I can assist making the organisation structure for the "Headquarter" halfautomatic database and such. BUT I don't want to be in big cities, so someone ELSE need to lead that in place.

Any comments or interested?     Or finance capacity   :)    I surely DON'T have financing capacity for this Headquarter part myself.

This sounds like a labor intensive venture thinly disguised as a charity.....

Forget the charity cover. If you think this is viable, then do it as a for profit business.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I have noticed:

Structure:

This "Headquarter":

/organice the selling

/STORE

Any comments or interested?     Or finance capacity   :)    I surely DON'T have financing capacity for this Headquarter part myself.

Forget the charity cover. If you think this is viable, then do it as a for profit business.

I have noticed:

Structure:

This "Headquarter":

/organice the selling

/STORE

???  How could you get it to that???

1. The poor are OWN business owners.

2. Beside financing, the charity CONNECT them doing production in provinces with them doing the selling in big cities and handle the product moves.

3. IF any non poor get any pay at all, then it's just because to be enough to not need to have any other work to live, IF the organisation need much work from that non poor person to function good. IF not finding a poor Filipin, who can manage to lead the "Headquarter" in big city, then it's needed a non poor leader there.

4. That "Headquarter" leader work is SURELY NOT MINE, because I don't want to be in any big city...  :)

I probably don't even want to work fulltime as consultant in province, because that would need much more traveling than I want to do,

but perhaps I can sacrify myself for a while in the startup, until I have teached some poor Filipins to do most of it.

5. What difference do you mean it is at the province side of the idea and the COMMON AID "Help-to-selfhelp" projects??   :)  The rest is a refining of that common idea, because add posibilities for the poor to get better pay for their products than if they would sell it localy as they would "have to" normaly...

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Thomas.... you are putting WAY to much thinking into this little program. Very simple  1 2 3!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think Thomas is referring to expats in the Philippines serving as intermediaries between Philippine poor and international charities.

Hefer International needs the profile and photographs of a deserving family whose lives can change through the donation of goats. The milk is nourishment for the children and to sell to others. The droppings is manure for the vegetable garden. The sale of a offspring or kid pays for public school expenses. They need before and after pictures to validate the donation. and the success story.

Another interesting group is Kiva International; The profile is a simplified business plan. A small grocery store needs a refrigerator to store milk, meat and perishable produce. The purchase of the refrigerator will double the store's business. The loan request is $500 with a repayment schedule of three years at a 10% annual interest. As a social investor, you are limited to $25 or $50 contribution to the loan request. The senior members of the charity are full time employees. They are paid international salaries by large foundations like Kelloggs or Ford, but they need unpaid volunteers to prepare the profiles and make sure the loans plus interest are repaid. 

It's a lot of work for the unpaid volunteers.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I think Thomas is referring to expats in the Philippines serving as intermediaries between Philippine poor and international charities.

Hefer International needs the profile and photographs of a deserving family whose lives can change through the donation of goats. The milk is nourishment for the children and to sell to others. The droppings is manure for the vegetable garden. The sale of a offspring or kid pays for public school expenses. They need before and after pictures to validate the donation. and the success story.

Another interesting group is Kiva International; The profile is a simplified business plan. A small grocery store needs a refrigerator to store milk, meat and perishable produce. The purchase of the refrigerator will double the store's business. The loan request is $500 with a repayment schedule of three years at a 10% annual interest. As a social investor, you are limited to $25 or $50 contribution to the loan request. The senior members of the charity are full time employees. They are paid international salaries by large foundations like Kelloggs or Ford, but they need unpaid volunteers to prepare the profiles and make sure the loans plus interest are repaid. 

It's a lot of work for the unpaid volunteers.

Yes. Such as Hand-in-hand and Gamesh (I believe Kiva too) assist with basic education and loans to start capital. They have many succeeses in provinces. But as far as I know, they don't have anything like this CONNECTING poor in province with poor in big cities, so the later ones can assist the poor producers with the marketing of their products in BIG CITY instead of have to sell close to home. A few of the poor they have helped starting, have succeed that much, so NOW they are big enough to solve such themselves, but this "Mini-Mega" idea would be a SHORTCUT, which all could join DIRECT they have produced anything.

Concerning salaries I DON'T like organisations where high leaders earn much, while others work for nothing. 

(I applied to an Effectivity boss job in such high salary to bosses aid organisation and wrote in my apllication the first I will do is lowering the salaries among high bosses. I didn't got the job...   :hystery:

But I'm FOR paying to FULL TIME bosses enough to they don't need to have any other work to earn enough for their living, so they can concentrate on doing the aid work good.  I mean NOT luxury living salaries. (I haven't lived there yet, and depend some of their family situation, but I believe 40 000-50 000 pesos is enough for a kano leader in province IF need any such full time. Manila living cost some more, so some higher pay to the "Headquarter" boss, who need to be full time work if such is started big enough to serve all needing producers in provinces. There are allready many such poor producers in provinces, who have managed to get started without assistance, but they have the marketing problem. Of course they can be allowed to join too.

The main with the "Mini-Mega" idea are solving of moving products from poor producers in provinces, and CONNECT them with poor people in big cities, so the products can be sold where there are more demand = higher pay. The province part is same/similar as some "Help-to-selfhelp" aid organisations do allready, so they can join this too if they want.

Thomas.... you are putting WAY to much thinking into this little program. Very simple  1 2 3!

Wrong, because IF it was a small problem to solve, why isn't it solved then?   :)

Now it's "solved" by often RICH traders buy CHEAP from poor province people, move the products to Metro Manila or export, making the TRADER get the higher pay...   :boohoo:      I prefer if the POOR get that extra profit   :)

As long as it don't delay a start, there can never be to much thinking   :dance:

• Like 1