Wood Furniture

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We saw some Filipino made wood furniture (not the typical Filipino wood furniture) that we liked a lot, and I was wondering if anyone has seen this around, so I might have an idea of how widespread it is.  Even better, maybe someone knows where it can be bought in the Subic / Angeles area??

There is a place in Alabang Festival Mall called the Antique Faire, on the 3rd floor.  Inside are several vendors of this type of furniture, competing against each other.  The type we like is made from solid Acacia wood, and is heavy and strong.  The construction, although simple and with simple fittings, appears to of fairly good quality, with good fit and finish.  Acacia can be a lighter color, but the color I liked was a darker reddish brown finish.

I thought the starting prices were good.  We have looked at beds at several stores and to get a good quality bed frame you have to spend a lot of money.  At this place the starting price for a good solid Acacia queen platform bed with a nice headboard is about 14-15k pesos, and I think we can get one for 10k.  If I can get them to forget me, my girlfriend could get it for even less!  The problem is, this store is far from Subic so we hope to find someplace closer to Subic to buy.

The style might be described as "Mission" style, but not quite as fancy.  Straight lines and kind of a "modern tropical" feel to it.  Here is a link to some pictures of expensive Acacia wood furniture sold in the US, to give you an idea of something similar to what we are looking for.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-900-s&va=acacia+wood+furniture

Any ideas on where to find this type of Filipino furniture?  There were at least 6-7 vendors at this location so it seems like there must be others spread across the Philippines.  One of the vendors has another location in Manila but that was all we got from the vendors.

Thanks in advance for any tips!   :cheersty:

• Like 2

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Psssstttttt...Check your email (prolly in the spam folder  :dance: )

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We bought ours in Sun Gold on Colon in Cebu and had to wait about 6 months till we found it on sale .... it comes from Malaysia and is very heavy solid furniture .... just don't turn it over because they don't stain the underside ..... :hystery:  :hystery:  (but it is all dark wood anyway) ...... not sure if they have a Sun Gold up that way or not ..... :cheersty:  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We bought ours in Sun Gold on Colon in Cebu and had to wait about 6 months till we found it on sale .... it comes from Malaysia and is very heavy solid furniture .... just don't turn it over because they don't stain the underside ..... :hystery:  :hystery:  (but it is all dark wood anyway) ...... not sure if they have a Sun Gold up that way or not ..... :cheersty:  

Thanks Mike!  You reminded me that I used to know a guy who had furnished his whole house in Sacramento with furniture he bought on a couple of trips to Indonesia.  It was nice looking stuff and even with the cost to ship it home, a very good deal!

• Like 2

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

There are some places in Olongapo and I believe there is a factory in Angeles/San Fernando called Miller furniture that custom makes good stuff.  Ted knows their name and number and I think he knows the manager there.  I need a kitchen table.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Psssstttttt...Check your email (prolly in the spam folder  :dance: )

I will try typing softly so no one hears but what is the secret, shhhhhhhhhhhh  :)  I guess furniture manufacturers are part of the secret service. 

• Like 2

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will try typing softly so no one hears but what is the secret, shhhhhhhhhhhh :) I guess furniture manufacturers are part of the secret service

Ohhhhh OKay...I suppose I most come clean now...I was just asking OnMyWay if he wanted me to stop by IKEA and pick up a bedroom set and bring over to him when I am in country in Mid-April...I only have so much room in my baggage allowance and my wife is small and she can only carry so much..plus I didn't want anyone being disappointed when I couldn't do the same for them...   :bonk:

Actually I am awaiting word back from someone I know in Pampanga/Angeles that makes furniture as well...once I get the green light I will share...I promise :)

Edited by ibemarshall
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't know about you guys, but I prefer the lightweight stuff, like wicker or bamboo furniture.

I have moved about 5-6 times while I was there in 1990-1997 and the last trip nearly killed my

back.  No more heavy and bulky items for me.

From lessons learned, I should pre-treat all bamboo chairs and sofa against termites and then

spray paint a nice coat of glossy polyurethane.  For the bed frame, wood or metal is fine with me.

As long as I keep it lubricated, my neighbors will not figure out why I'm howling at night....he, he.

Right Mike S ?? 

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just make sure you keep the headboard away from the wall and you'll be OK ...... :dance: :hystery: :hystery: :cheersty:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hate to say it but I agree with Jake...

NO NOT THE ALL NIGHT HOWLING!  hehe!

The lighter weight furniture!  If you ever go to move again, the light weight furniture will make it so much easier!  And, on hotter days, will also feel much cooler!

But, if you have your heart set on this style, who am I to argue?  Go for it!