W W 2 Cavalry Officer In The Philippines

brock
Posted
Posted

I think they made a film about his exploits starring Frank Sinatra.

samatm
Posted
Posted

Smart man ,  better to flee for the hills than surrender to the Death March.    Makes me wonder why  the  US forces decided to surrender at Battaan rather than fleeing into the forrests and jungles to go underground   and to regroup later.    They could have tied up the Japs  for months and years creating all kinds of mischief.    Anyway hindsight is ...20/20 .

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

A lot of them came from Corregidor where they had no chance to get off the island when the Japanese took over ..... and were included in the death march .... :cheersty:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Link to story in the Los Angeles Times

Historians have said that losing the Philippines in the early stages of World War II was a defining event in the career of Gen. Douglas MacArthur. The same could be said of Edwin Ramsey. But Ramsey couldn't admit defeat......"I look back and think of myself as a soldier, not as a hero," he told a reporter in 2001. "I just had a temperament that made it impossible for me to surrender."

Again, MacArthur was ordered to escape the Bataan Death March and was awarded the Medal of Honor.

LT Ramsey fought on and only got the Distinguish Service Cross.  What's up with that?

I'm sorry, MacArthur is a douche bag.

• Like 2

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

*Stands in line behind Jake in thinking the general was a douche bag*

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

"Next to MacArthur, he is No. 2," said Eugene Orias Jr., a Filipino American who met Ramsey through a local chapter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. "He was able to stay behind enemy lines while the country was under Japanese rule. When the general came back, he was able to give him the straight story of what happened."  

I would have put him No 1 well ahead of MacArthur...

:thumbsup: