Dumb Question?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Probably a dumb question, but here goes.  I have a nice radio I was going to bring when we move.  I know I will need a converter for 220 to 110.  My question is will a typical USA AM/FM radio be able to tune in & receive Philippine radio stations.  I sure hope this does not make me sound too stupid. :bash:

Thanks in advance.

• Like 4

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

you will recieve signal here just fine. Also you might not need a converter as most electronics sold in the US work on240v - 110v.. to check if yours will work , look on the back near where the power cord enters the radio , there should be a plate , sticker or raised lettering that tells you the operating specs for the radio...some place close to the top it will show the voltage requirements looking something like this     240v~110v/ 50 hz~60hz  if you see that then the radio will work just fine here.. the only converter you might need is going from the three prong plug on your power cord to the 2 prong outlet commonal used here and they are available just about any department/electronics store

most of your cells phones will also be able to plug directly in here , be sure to get online or check the owners manual for thier operating specs

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

Probably a dumb question, but here goes.  I have a nice radio I was going to bring when we move.  I know I will need a converter for 220 to 110.  My question is will a typical USA AM/FM radio be able to tune in & receive Philippine radio stations.  I sure hope this does not make me sound too stupid. :bash:

Thanks in advance.

Unlike the other member Mike S , I believe you have more intelligence.....he, he.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

you will recieve signal here just fine. Also you might not need a converter as most electronics sold in the US work on240v - 110v.. to check if yours will work , look on the back near where the power cord enters the radio , there should be a plate , sticker or raised lettering that tells you the operating specs for the radio...some place close to the top it will show the voltage requirements looking something like this     240v~110v/ 50 hz~60hz  if you see that then the radio will work just fine here.. the only converter you might need is going from the three prong plug on your power cord to the 2 prong outlet commonal used here and they are available just about any department/electronics store

most of your cells phones will also be able to plug directly in here , be sure to get online or check the owners manual for thier operating specs

Thanks BigDog!

For added built-in protection using a step down transformer (220vac to 120vac), I would consider these devices.  

They have heavy duty circuitry to help stabilize or smooth out voltage fluctuations.  These converters should be

your workhorse rather than having the small internal P/S of your radio doing all the work trying to regulate voltages.    

For my application, I would purchase a 2000 watt converter to protect my computer, LCD TV and home surround

sound system.  A bit of an over-kill but it allows for additional loads in the future.  

http://www.220-electronics.com/voltage-converter-buying-guide.html

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks in advance.

Unlike the other member Mike S , I believe you have more intelligence.....he, he.

Hummmmmmm note to self ..... see if I can borrow the Jollymans pp whacker .....  good for one Jake alias  Blue Balls Jake ..... ya see my aim ain't what it used to be and I might miss a few times thus hitting the family jewels .... whack ... whack ... whack ......  :whistling:        :9436:        :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mike J, on 28 Mar 2013 - 06:02, said:

Probably a dumb question, but here goes.

No such thing as a "DUMB QIESTION" only if you dont ask then something wrong/terrible happens,

then it was DUMB not to ask,,

sometimes others may laugh :hystery: when some one asks a "dumb" question,.

being away from our/your comfort zone and not having trusted friends around,

we/I/you need a place to get helpful info or advice. you have come to the RIGHT PLACE..

so please feel free to ask most anything to others here on the Forum

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

As others have said above, your radio may be switchable between 110/220 vac or you can always use a converter.  The only other area with a radio that you can run into trouble is if it has digital tuning - and I believe both the Philippines and the USA use the same frequency set-up so that shouldn't be an issue either.

So, as you can see, not so dumb a question after all, was it!

:thumbsup:

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

As others have said above, your radio may be switchable between 110/220 vac or you can always use a converter.  The only other area with a radio that you can run into trouble is if it has digital tuning - and I believe both the Philippines and the USA use the same frequency set-up so that shouldn't be an issue either.

So, as you can see, not so dumb a question after all, was it!

:thumbsup:

The FM tuning is the same so no problem. AM however is different. In the US, AM stations are separated 10khz tuning steps apart. Here in The Philippines, the AM stations are 9 khz tuning steps apart. Example: US: 1230, 1240, 1250 etc. PH: 1233, 1242, 1251 etc.

• Like 3