Small Town Feel

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have only been in Subic Bay Freeport a few days and I like the small town feel.  Yesterday we ran into a couple we know, and Subic Steve, at the bank, then we also ran into another friend at the mall.

• Like 4

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

when you have time? would you or others that live in Subic, tell us how is the availability of "us" goods or products compared to NCR/manila?

wish you success on the NEW surroundings/home?

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

would you or others that live in Subic, tell us how is the availability of "us" goods or products compared to NCR/manila?

We have only been to Royal Duty Free which is the closest to us.  They have a lot of US products but most are expensive.  For some reason they price some items in USD and some in pesos. However, the exchange rate they finally use is good.

I bought a 3 lb bucket of Folgers coffee for $18.99.  That is a bit high but I think it was over $10 for a smaller one back in Kentucky.

They have US cereals like Fruit Loops that are very high, but they often have a local brand next to it for 1/3 the price.

We noticed that Kellogs was a lot cheaper, and it appears they have a plant in SE Asia, so that is probably why.

A box of Kashi cereal that I used to eat in the US was $11.99 USD!

Oh, side note, they have the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar that everyone talks about, and they have a lot.

• Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We noticed that Kellogs was a lot cheaper, and it appears they have a plant in SE Asia, so that is probably why.

Not so ..... everyone knows that Kellogg Corn Flakes are cheaper in the US ....... sorry JGF I beat you to it ..... ya was snoozing ......  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery: 

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I bought a 3 lb bucket of Folgers coffee for $18.99.  That is a bit high but I think it was over $10 for a smaller one back in Kentucky.

On the topic of coffee, try Cafe Mabuhay from the markets at 60p per pound or a no name coffee at 50p per pound. It is freshly ground with never much in stock and quite good. The supermarkets have bean coffee of various brands but rather expensive ( plus no in-store grinder)

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I have only been in Subic Bay Freeport a few days and I like the small town feel.  Yesterday we ran into a couple we know, and Subic Steve, at the bank, then we also ran into another friend at the mall.

I agree it feels like a small town where your neighbors are probably at least upper middle class.

I'm sure the locals now living inside the formal base remember how well maintained and orderly

it was under the US flag.  Living inside vs outside may give the impression of pride and relatively

secured and quiet neighborhood. 

Plus you have all kinds of activities without leaving main gate.  My hometown of Olongapo is also

orderly (as you mentioned in your driving) and full of good memories of US military presence.  In

other words, the locals are used to seeing all kinds of foreigners, especially further north like

Barrio Beretta and Subic City.  

You should be commended of taking care of yourself and your family in finding a nice home.  By

the way, do you have my dog house ready, just in case I need to stay over for a couple weeks?

Well done my friend -- Jake

• Like 3