Maggie Thatcher Rip Iron Lady

Curley
Posted
Posted

Maggie Thatcher has died, not everybody's favourite but she did state some very obvious "truths"...  My favourite was.... "I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand 'I have a problem, it is the government's job to cope with it!' or 'I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!'; 'I am homeless, the government must house me!' and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society?

"There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families, and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first.

"It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations."

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maggie Thatcher has died, not everybody's favourite but she did state some very obvious "truths"...  My favourite was.... "I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand 'I have a problem, it is the government's job to cope with it!' or 'I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!'; 'I am homeless, the government must house me!' and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society?

"There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families, and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first.

"It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations."

I remember Prime Minister Thatcher well.  There was a special connection between her and President Reagan,

whom I admired as well.  However, the Iron Lady had an excellent foreign policy where she takes no prisoner

attitude.  A case in point was her bold and difficult decision to rescue the British citizens on Falkland Islands.  

One of our members, retired British RAF navigator Jack Peterson was part of that half way around the world

military operation.  

Here is another link describing her relationship with Reagan: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/04/thatcher-and-reagan-the-iron-lady-was-tougher-than-the-gipper/274774/

Thank you Curley for your tribute to a fine lady.  May she rest in peace.  Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
spill chek
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

An effective and highly respected person. Its too bad we don't have any more like her in politics today.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I wonder if Elvis Costello has calmed down or does he still want to Tramp The Dirt Down, as he sang on the album Spike?