Hills. Odd

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I have noticed in some regions hills are covered with forest,

while in other they are "empty" (=almost only grass) WITHOUT have been developed for farming or such!  

I would have understood, if it had been forest everywhere originaly and cut down to make farmland, but if they are used at all, then there are a few cows or such eating there.

Anyone knowing how come any hills are "empty"?

E g at Bohol there are many "empty" hills. (I know it's some on Negros too, but I don't know if it's any much there too.)

Where are other regions with such?

(I ask because such land can perhaps be interesting to develop - and I'm curious  :)

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Logging for tropical timber--mostly in the 20th century.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Logging for tropical timber--mostly in the 20th century.

Thank you. Oh it was that simple reason.  I were some worried it would depend of land with to bad soil to suit growing more than grass.

Bad for the stupid ones, who have wasted using their land this long time without planting (!!!)

but good for us, who are interested in buying such land cheap  :)

(But sometimes is land offers so very cheap WITH much forest on it, so I believe it's some fishy as e g can't get cut permit, even if owner guarantee planting again directly, because why would they sell all for less than the tree value... But buyers can hope it depend of sellers are bad at counting   :dance:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Charcoal, firewood or lumber. For the most part Filipinos haven't caught on to reforestation or ecology. As you travel west over the hills overlooking Cebu City even the steepest hillsides have little or no cover and large areas have eroded.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yup!  They're just finally catching on in a little bit of a way now...  What with all the landslides during the typhoons lately...

I'd love to see them come in with a "Cut one - Plant one" objective...  Or even better yet,  "Cut one - Plant two"...!

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
robert k
Posted
Posted

Yup!  They're just finally catching on in a little bit of a way now...  What with all the landslides during the typhoons lately...

I'd love to see them come in with a "Cut one - Plant one" objective...  Or even better yet,  "Cut one - Plant two"...!

:thumbsup:

I wish they would do more responsible logging in the US. I believe in preserving some old growth forest but if you have too much, it blocks the new vibrant growth. I'd rather see it cut responsibly, than to see it go up in smoke because there aren't even any fire breaks. :thumbsup:

• Like 1