Charlie Don't Surf, But They Now Do In Baler

samatm
Posted
Posted

Thanks for posting this.    I was  trying to post this article  last night , but i nver could get the  cut and paste function working.    

Anyone been to Baler ?   how is the surf / the beach.     Apocalypse Now is one freaky movie parts  i still can't watch.    Interesting they filmed it in the PI.

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

"Charlie is the American soldiers' derogatory nickname for their enemy, the Viet Cong"

Not quite accurate. "Charlie" was derived from the phonetic alphabet used in the military: "Viet Cong" ---> "VC" ---> "Victor Charlie"

Nothing derogatory about it. (There were plenty of other derogatory names used. But, that s common in all wars, on all sides.)

• Like 5

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

We are the "Charlie" there...not unless we do not bring the Botolan beach scenery with us :)

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

I am in Baler right now.  Been here 4 hours.  I see no reason to come back.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Details, man, details!!!  

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Details, man, details!!!  

The ride up was nice. Thru the mountains and rice fields.  Very pretty.  Took about 4 hours from Subic.  The truth is, Baler is not ready for prime time.  VERY few foreigners so they have no idea what customer service is.  The hotels are mostly crap.  Dirty and dingy.  Garbage all around.  There is not one nice bar on the beach to sit at.  We sat down to eat and there were 5 dogs roaming 5 feet from us.  Pissing, mounting each other and the locals just ignore it.  We are staying at the nicest place for 4800p a night and its worth about half that.  The beach has no real bars or restaurants.  It's just basically a place for locals to come and enjoy the beach.  Many of the hotel staff speak almost no english.  I know I sound very negative but I wouldn't want someone to think this is a resort town and spend there time and money to come up here.   Bottom line is there is nothing to do here.  If you want to go surfing, go to La Union.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I see no reason to come back.

I mis-read this to mean that you liked the place and saw no reason to come home!   :bash:

I never did well on those reading comprehension tests!   :hystery:

• Like 3

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

I see no reason to come back.

I mis-read this to mean that you liked the place and saw no reason to come home!   :bash:

Yes same for me, I thought he was very impressed with the place and was never going to return to the "real world".

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Every man has got a breaking point.

You and I have one. Subic Steve Has reached his. And very obviously, he has gone insane...   :kidding:

On the serious side, thanks for your honest opinion,

In a few years BALER maybe changed for the better,

as it seems that everyone is trying to get that TOURIST money..

could you take a few photos for us to see.

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 1