Condo Construction Engineer Or Architect Or Lawyer, In/near Makati ?

Mel-Low
Posted
Posted

Can someone suggest a condo construction engineer or architect, who is in or near Makati, to inspect a new condo unit for turnover?

No one seems to know of any such engineer/architect.

I am guessing that most Filipinos do not want to go against any large Filipino company, in case of a major discrepancy (whether illegal or not). 

On different topics, some expat friends have suggested that most Filipinos are afraid for their and their family's life or retribution and consequently make no recommendations that involve Filipino politics and Filipino companies.  This might be.  Several months ago, I watched a "Legal Help Desk" weekly program (Solar News or Talk cable channel) on slander and libel, on which the lawyers said that although the slander might be truth, the source could be sued for slander.

Similarly, can someone suggest a lawyer familiar with condominiums, who is in or near Makati? 

I have talked with two different law firms.  They do not seem to know the applicable condominium regulations.  Also, one law firm said that they would work on my legal questions; I emailed them several times for updates; no responses; and about six weeks later they asked me if I was still interested in their working on my questions because they thought I hired another law firm.

My concerns are:  compliance with construction standards, general construction practices, compliance with fire regulations, better fire protection practices, compliance with electrical standards.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Ok, I will reply your query. PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME, I DO NOT TRY TO OFFEND YOU, BUT TO HELP YOU!!!

The reason you cannot find anyone to do the inspection you want is because you are asking some impossible things which are impossible even in the western world.

First of all the inspection of a condo upon turn over is about the wall finishing, the tiles, the accessories, the plumbing features and in general what you can see inside the unit. Not about the building construction standards. In small words that they give you the unit as they promised it to be in the contract YOU SIGNED.

All your questions will be answered by asking the developer to give you a copy of the building various permits to see if they comply with everything, the rest just take it item by item see what is on the paper and what actually is on the construction.

If you find for example that the sprinkler head is 2.8 instead of 3 meters apart from each other or similar, then the case does not even need lawyer. You will have to go through an arbitration committee together with the developer, if no solution found there and according to what the arbitrator will rule you either have a case to proceed to court or you have nothing. This committee is consisted from civil engineers and architects usually retired and YES they are HONEST, I won there.

For your convenience I attach the latest law on buildings in Philippines. Read and check!!!

Now if you really want someone else to do the inspection at Manila...I will charge you 60.000p and do it for you :) Now I am not ripping you off, you are looking for it!!!!

...I cannot attach files, here it is online....

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno6541.htm

Best regards

Joe-At-Manila!!!

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

may i strongly suggest that you go to a LEGAL BOOK store and inquire on what books that may assist you in your "issues"

buying a home/condo etc.... is a major purchase and investment ,KNOW WHAT RIGHTS (if any)and RECOURSE you may have..

at mega mall 5th floor opposite from SM (b part I think as SM is on A part)

their is A LEGAL BOOK STORE very . stocked on various LEGAL manners, even some historical books too.

you can never be to UNINFORMED on what limited rights you have,

• Like 2

Mel-Low
Posted
Posted

. . .

The reason you cannot find anyone to do the inspection you want is because you are asking some impossible things which are impossible even in the western world.

. . .

First of all the inspection of a condo upon turn over is about the wall finishing, the tiles, the accessories, the plumbing features and in general what you can see inside the unit. Not about the building construction standards. In small words that they give you the unit as they promised it to be in the contract YOU SIGNED.

All your questions will be answered by asking the developer to give you a copy of the building various permits to see if they comply with everything, the rest just take it item by item see what is on the paper and what actually is on the construction.

. . .

Now if you really want someone else to do the inspection at Manila...I will charge you 60.000p and do it for you :) Now I am not ripping you off, you are looking for it!!!!

. . .

Thanks for your lengthy response.

I do understand that an inspection is about the interior of my condo unit.

I mentioned construction standards, as a general way to indicate that for my potential concerns, an engineer is probably better than an architect -- supposedly, an architect is the usual type of expert who performs inspection.  On the web site about skyscraper city, some owners complained about the construction quality of their units.

I mentioned fire protection, because one of the fees being assessed is Php 3,000 for a fire extinguisher.  I questioned the fee.  One developer staff said that it is required by the fire code for each unit, but has not answered my questions on type and size.  While I agree that it is a good safety measure for every kitchen to have a fire extinguisher within arm's reach, I wonder:  a- does the fire code require this?  b- does my unit have a fire detector and an overhead sprinkler system, and would not the fire code require them in a high-rise condo building?

I mentioned electrical standards, for several reasons.  For example, the condo building I am in now has frequent brownouts lasting about half hour, which were not due to Meralco outages.  Some believe that the building's electrical circuits are being overloaded with 2-horsepower air conditioners, in spite of the building's policy that air conditioner should not be larger than 1.5-horsepower.  So, looking at the circuitry inside my unit, how much electrical load can I utilize? 

Your 60,000p price may be bargain, if you know what you are doing and it includes contesting the developer in case of a major discrepancy. 

That is why I have been fishing for experts (engineer, architect, and/or lawyer) on various web sites.

But, I have been preparing myself for the worst -- rolling over, accepting any and all condo crap, paying all the condo corrections needed, and moving on with my life.

Mel-Low
Posted
Posted

may i strongly suggest that you go to a LEGAL BOOK store and inquire on what books that may assist you in your "issues"

buying a home/condo etc.... is a major purchase and investment ,KNOW WHAT RIGHTS (if any)and RECOURSE you may have..

. . .

Thanks for your advice.

In fact, I have read some general advice on the web about buying a condo.  One advice was to get a lawyer and an engineer and/or architect.

I have been searching for such experts and have not found satisfactory (knowledgeable, experienced) experts.

For example, I read a PI law that indicates that a developer cannot charge for certain costs.  But, the few lawyers that I have contacted do not seem to understand what I cited or to have any experience with the HLURB.  In fact, one lawyer said for me to pay the costs, get a receipt, and later try to get a refund but do not have high hopes for a refund.  (But, he was not familar with the law I cited; although his advice was probably practical in view of current government practices.)

But, I will take your advice and see if there is a legal book that will give practical advice.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

Thanks for your lengthy response.

I do understand that an inspection is about the interior of my condo unit.

I mentioned construction standards, as a general way to indicate that for my potential concerns, an engineer is probably better than an architect -- supposedly, an architect is the usual type of expert who performs inspection.  On the web site about skyscraper city, some owners complained about the construction quality of their units.

I mentioned fire protection, because one of the fees being assessed is Php 3,000 for a fire extinguisher.  I questioned the fee.  One developer staff said that it is required by the fire code for each unit, but has not answered my questions on type and size.  While I agree that it is a good safety measure for every kitchen to have a fire extinguisher within arm's reach, I wonder:  a- does the fire code require this?  b- does my unit have a fire detector and an overhead sprinkler system, and would not the fire code require them in a high-rise condo building?

I mentioned electrical standards, for several reasons.  For example, the condo building I am in now has frequent brownouts lasting about half hour, which were not due to Meralco outages.  Some believe that the building's electrical circuits are being overloaded with 2-horsepower air conditioners, in spite of the building's policy that air conditioner should not be larger than 1.5-horsepower.  So, looking at the circuitry inside my unit, how much electrical load can I utilize? 

Your 60,000p price may be bargain, if you know what you are doing and it includes contesting the developer in case of a major discrepancy. 

That is why I have been fishing for experts (engineer, architect, and/or lawyer) on various web sites.

But, I have been preparing myself for the worst -- rolling over, accepting any and all condo crap, paying all the condo corrections needed, and moving on with my life.

If your condo has a centralized sprinkler system with sprinkler heads inside your unit, you do not need to have a fire extinguisher extra, it's a good idea though if you know how to use it (a dry powder one is the best for uses as such)

The frequent brown outs do not have anything to do with the 2HP a/c units of other people. if the amperage of these units was exceeding the breaker value the breaker would go off in the unit and not the entire building, if the cables were not adequate for this amperage but the breaker was, then a fire would develop due to the overheat of the cables. When brown out, look across the street to see if they have power, then it happens to the area and not your condo tower alone.

Construction materials people usually complain for are what they can see, faucets, sinks, toilets, tiles etc. There is no where in your contract what brand or quality of such materials will be but only that it will have one toilet 3 faucets 5 sinks etc, not the quality of them. So hunting anyone for it, you got nothing in hand than the voice of the seller which is nulled and void.

I bought a condo my self which I now plan to sell. Why? Because the building and area starts degrading even while construction of more towers is ongoing....so when all will finish...will look like a big pile of s*it so I better sell before that. I have a long experience on building and scams on construction here. When I looked at the brand new unit faucets sinks etc I said rent it out, I will not pay anything to renovate all these, and so I did rent it at a price paying my monthly amortization.

A word of advise, if you try to go and hunt these companies...you might win (if you have grounds for it) BUT YOU WILL HAVE PAID MUCH MORE IN THE PROCESS THAN WHAT YOU WILL GET BACK. I sued an engineer, I won and asking 250.000 pesos from him, yes I got a court order that I can go and forfeit all his house belongings if I do not get paid. Yes I could hire private collectors to collect for me. I forgot all about it and went on with my life, never know were situations as such can lead....