Unlock At&t Iphone?

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Has anyone brought an AT&T iPhone to the PI, had it unlocked there and used a local SIM?

I have an old 3G that is useless now that I'm no longer with AT&T. I was wondering if it could be made functional for use there.

Thanks,

-n

• Like 2

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

You can get it jail broken and it will work with any local sim. :)

• Like 2

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

just ask AT&T to unlock it..after its an out of date , no longer in service phone they might unlock it.. They are getting ALOT more lienent about unlocking thier phones.. I had my iPhone 4s unlocked simply by asking , i was a current customer past my contract and had no problems.. BUT with my iPhone 3 i had "jailbroken" in Cebu..ok if you want all your songs/info wiped out and only run OS3 ... never update because it will "lock" again.. i got home asked at&t to unlock it and 3 days later it was unlocked and updatable

• Like 3

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

If you have it jailbroken just update it on your comp before you take it to them, they should be able to jail break it with the latest version of ios, then when you think you need it updating go back ti the same guy and ask him to do the update for you.

:thumbsup:

brock
Posted
Posted

I,m not too bright when it comes to phones, but when i took my samsung over there, I just put a new sim in it and it worked fine.

But have taken phones before and they needed to be unlocked, cost about 500 if i remember right.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There is no difference between having your phone company unlock your phone and having somebody in a shop do it.  Heck, you can even go online and have it done.  If you are having an issue after someone unlocked your phone, they probably played with the files too - or didn't unlock your phone properly.  

Jail Breaking is a confusing term as some people refer to unlocking their phone as Jail Breaking while others mean that they have Rooted their phone (a modification which will give them SuperUser / Administrator status and will allow them to modify the software on the phone).  You can Root without Unlocking and you can Unlock without Rooting.

Now some phones come permanently unlocked straight from the manufacturer.  Any Google Nexus will be unlocked regardless if it is a Samsung or LG make.  

:tiphat:

• Like 1