Any Reputable Place To Purchase A Motorcycle Or Car?

Corbin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Licenses I understand and will do, but acquiring a vehicle will be interesting. Anyone have any information on where to go or what to read for vehicles for sale in Cebu?

Edited by Corbin

Bil Brock
Posted
Posted

Have you considered buying one from a someone who is leaving the country or who just doesn't want to drive anymore?

• Like 2

Corbin
Posted
Posted

Have you considered buying one from a someone who is leaving the country or who just doesn't want to drive anymore?

Good idea and would gladly do so, but I'm still 4 weeks from arriving in Cebu and know no one other than those here on this forum. I can get along quite fine and have the time and the funds but I would love to get some first hand knowledge of where to look before and/or after I arrive. Such as papers, actual dealers or as you've pointed out .. specific individuals.  

ozepete
Posted
Posted

I think the main thing is to make sure it has clear title, not stolen etc. Have it checked by the vehicle registration authority. There is a number that you can text a vehicles plate number to and it will respond with the legitimate owner etc. Someone here might be able to remember the number to contact. 

Other than that you need to be careful with second hand, they can make a Merc coupe our of a Willys jeep and a couple of sheets of GI!!  (Well nearly!)  

Cheers and happy days ahead in the beautiful  PIs. 

• Like 2

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Hi plenty to read on this old thread http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/13444-buying-a-used-car-in-the-philippines/

LTO number type LTO VEHICLE(number plate) and send to 2600

My rule of thumb now is buy from people you know, peoplethat have had the car since new, fully history or buy new. 

Motor bike then I would recommend the Honda XR 200, last time I looked around 120,000 peso new, good reliable run around go anywhere kind of bike

Wated way too much money over the years buying dogs and there are many cars here that have been clocked thats for certain. 

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Beware of any vehicle that is advertised "freshly changed oil".

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If you are satisfied with the cheapest cars, then it can be worth checking the companies where they put them together. There are such in Metro Cebu. I don't remember company name or adress (I have in notes)  but I suppose all taxidrivers knows  :)

(=There they mount both Toyota owner "jeeps" (=new metal parts, often stainless, but they put in old parts from Toyota) and the different models of Suzuki Minivan/Minicab... (=Different back parts on same frame and front part.) The new ones can be got with a less weak motor =1000cc instead of only 660cc).

Such NEW ones you can get for even less than 200 000p.

An other advantage with them than the price, is it's much easier to get spare parts and mechanics, who are used to them,

but a disadvantage is Suzuki need repair more often*   :hystery:        (Concerning Toyota the repair frequence depend of the quality of the old parts.)

*But repair problems go for many second hand more expensive cars too, because many Filipins don't bother to do maintainance as changing oil - until they do it when selling it as a selling argument!   :hystery:

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

buying a car in the Philippines would be more about research, checking up, legal issues, owner documents, registration. fees, licenses etc etc and then if you can handle all that you can then have fun dealing with the free for all no rules driving, many traffic jams and all that nice pollution and black smoke in your face...  :)

better to get a bike or taxis/jeeps etc...

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

buying a car in the Philippines would be more about research, checking up, legal issues, owner documents, registration. fees, licenses etc etc and then if you can handle all that you can then have fun dealing with the free for all no rules driving, many traffic jams and all that nice pollution and black smoke in your face...  :)

better to get a bike or taxis/jeeps etc...

Sounds fun. I think it would be good to pay a car dealer to handle the paperwork for you and as for the driving part, get a blindfold and let the wife/girlfriend drive. :)

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You didn't actually say if you meant used cars only.  I bought a used Toyota Avanza from a private party and it has worked out fine.  However, when spending more money for the longer term I will consider buying brand new in order to avoid most of the headaches mentioned here.  If I buy new and keep it for 10+ years, the extra cost may be worth it.  The peace of mind that comes with knowing the car is perfect is worth some cash!   In the US I would never buy a new car and always try to find one that is 1-2 years old, in excellent condition, but the game has different rules here!   :cheersty:

• Like 2