Where Not To Live

Flason456
Posted
Posted

I've been here a year and a half now and never knew that the NPA rebles were so close to CEBU.

2 Dead in Fighting in Negros.

MANILA, Philippines - A soldier and a communist rebel were killed since the launching of a major military operation against the New People’s Army (NPA) on Negros Island on Wednesday afternoon.

The army is out all around Cebu, On the streets and in the malls and stores.

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2013/05/16/942807/2-dead-300-displaced-troops-clash-npa-negros

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I've been here a year and a half now and never knew that the NPA rebles were so close to CEBU.

2 Dead in Fighting in Negros.

MANILA, Philippines - A soldier and a communist rebel were killed since the launching of a major military operation against the New People’s Army (NPA) on Negros Island on Wednesday afternoon.

The army is out all around Cebu, On the streets and in the malls and stores.

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2013/05/16/942807/2-dead-300-displaced-troops-clash-npa-negros

I don't know if NPA are different anywhere, but in several places they behave GOOD against civilians, even HELP civilians doing police work, when the police don't do it any good. In difference from muslim guerilla, NPA DON'T kidnap civilians. . They attack military and police, so of couse it's a risk civilians can be hit by MISTAKE in such attacks. The only exception I have heared of is NPA did some hostile against BIG mining company in Surigao province.

From MANILA I have heared rumour saying NPA demand "revolution tax" from ALL companies in provinces, 

BUT I doubt that's true, because no one of the small/middle size company owners I know, spread in Phili, have never said any such. (Most of them are Filipinas, a few with foreigner husband/boyfriend behind.)

So I'm not affraid of NPA concerning my health, 

but a bit worrying if they will demand (much) "revolution tax" when I start business.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

Sounds alot safer than when I lived in North Hollywood, California in the US back in the 80's.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well we live in Bacolod, Negros Occidental and I'm not worried ..... besides if they capture me they will have to feed me and after a couple of days they would probably pay someone to come get me .....

As was already mentioned by Thomas the NPA are mostly anti-government and not into taking foreign hostages ..... I've been told they will extort money from local politicians in their areas ...... much rather live with them than the radical Muslims in the south .... JMHO :thumbsup:       :cheersty:  

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I am only afraid of bullets. It doesn't matter who they come from.

• Like 2

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

No worries for NPA.

At my area when I first came here (my subdivision had 50 houses, 10 occupied and now 9 years after it has 9000 houses and almost all occupied. hope it gives the image how remote the area was and how dense it became) I used to see the NPA on the road with all their armaments, seldom but did. Now we only see the military helicopters running through the mountains and some times we hear from far away explosions or heavy shootings.

They do not bring battles in civilian areas, they do not put bombs terrorist style, they might explode a government target but as long as you do not live besides one you have nothing to worry.

They never bothered me.

I do offroad with my 4x4 toy up in our mountains, sometimes directly in the mountain where no roads are. Couple of times some "locals" WITHOUT any guns or army uniform, popped up from the middle of nowhere advising me to go back because there are "snatchers" or "landslides" (yes they told me landslide in a perfectly even area FULL of trees) or something similar. I only said thank you, do you need a ride back in the town? and REVERSE!!!

Now if I ignore that I might end up with some bullet in my expensive and precious tires and if not lucky, I might get shot too. But in no case they intend to harm me in anyway or to extort anything from me.

As for the stray bullets...not from an NPA-Army-Police fight, you have more danger from the drunk neighbor who finds it fun shooting at the air...

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted
As for the stray bullets...not from an NPA-Army-Police fight, you have more danger from the drunk neighbor who finds it fun shooting at the air...

I wonder how many times the NPA - Government are blamed for the drunk neighbour's assaults?

:unsure:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
jpbago
Posted
Posted

Why are we here? Look at this: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/28/canada-among-top-places-to-live-in-world-says-study

PI did not make the top 10, maybe not even the top 50. It must be the women. It is not the food, not the internet, not the ease of travel, not the lack of corruption, nor not the lack of hassles in doing anything.

For me, it is my lady and her immediate family. (She made me say that!)

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Why are we here? Look at this: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/28/canada-among-top-places-to-live-in-world-says-study

PI did not make the top 10, maybe not even the top 50. It must be the women. It is not the food, not the internet, not the ease of travel, not the lack of corruption, nor not the lack of hassles in doing anything.

For me, it is my lady and her immediate family. (She made me say that!)

It's not so cold as in Sweden  :)

Lower living costs too, even with extra costs foreigners have. (VISA and such.) I mean if not pay "kano-prices" to often  :)

• Like 1