Getting Your Spouse A Visa To The Usa

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Has anyone applied for and received a spousal visa for the purposes of taking your Filipina wife to the USA?

I have read and re-read the requirements from the various US visa webpages but would like first hand experiences if possible. A "walk through" if possible would be great.

Pretty sure I have the "getting married in the Philippines" part down pat. That seems easy enough.

Now fast forward after the marriage, but married less than 2 years, I would then like to get this spousal visa application started.

First hand experiences and other comments are welcomed.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

My ex and her American partner got their spousal visa and visa`s for my two kids all within about 4 months and away they went.

Edited by brock
  • Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

Check out the website and forum Visa Journey.com

Everything you ever wanted to know about all visas is there. There is also a very lively Philippines sub-forum with Philippines-specific information and discussions.

Congrats!

• Like 1

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I am going thru the process now for a visa for my spouse,  we were married in November of 2012. I then filed the I-130 on her behalf for her Visa, i received notice that our filing date was January 7,2013. You may follow your case on line thru the USCIS site by entering your case number , it has steps that will be shown as being completed as your case moves along. It will be a 6 months wait for us in a few weeks as of now our case is still not recorded on line. I called today and found out that our paperwork has finnally been trasfered from the national office to the local office. They said i could possibly be notified in the next 2 months of a possible interview. I was also told it now takes a year to get this Visa. These times change because of numbers applying for this type of visa, when i originally got married the wait was supposed to be 5 months , but things have changed now. I was also told my paperwork was in order but it just takes longer now. Good luck with yours, whats difficult is supporting the two households , mine here and then helping her while we wait. A good friend of mine put the cost of this process of waiting and supporting your woman there with things that come up at $10,000 , i think he was pretty close.

• Like 2

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Make sure you review the rules to marry in the Philippines depending on your wifes age there are different rules.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

I called today and found out that our paperwork has finnally been trasfered from the national office to the local office. They said i could possibly be notified in the next 2 months of a possible interview. I was also told it now takes a year to get this Visa. These times change because of numbers applying for this type of visa, when i originally got married the wait was supposed to be 5 months , but things have changed now. I was also told my paperwork was in order but it just takes longer now.

The time it takes for the petition approval fluctuates often. Currently California service center is running 5 months and Vermont a little slower. A few months ago it was the opposite. Lots of people get anxious and angry but I think of it like being in line somewhere - one line moves faster for a while then the 2nd line moves faster, etc.

Once the petition is approved the process can be finished pretty quickly - within 2 months. My friend just got his fiancée's Visa and once the petition was approved, it happened in 6 weeks. You take an extensive medical examination in Manila and schedule an interview at the embassy there. Once approved and you have the visa in hand in a week or 2.

I am pretty well aware of the current process as we are waiting for our petition to be approved. I check my email and text messages often :)

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Check out the website and forum Visa Journey.com

Everything you ever wanted to know about all visas is there. There is also a very lively Philippines sub-forum with Philippines-specific information and discussions.

Congrats!

Thanks Dave.....indeed all I ever wanted to know!!

Hold on while I go get 4 aspirin!! Mind numbing it is.

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Make sure you review the rules to marry in the Philippines depending on your wifes age there are different rules.

No problem on the age Mike.......thanks