Looking For Gym/health Club

GeoWalther
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the welcome.  My wife and I move to a new country every year and stay for a year.  Several people have suggested that Cebu is perfect for us.  My wife has severe arthritis, so I know the weather is good for her.  The critical factor for us is access to a world-class gym, since she'll be there every single day without fail for hours.  It will be the center of her social world, too.  So, here's what I need to know:  What's the very best gym in Cebu (all services, classes, yoga, lockers, etc.) that offers the possibility of living close by in a condo or apartment.  She'll want to get up each morning, walk straight to the close-by gym, and have all of her "girl services" and groceries within a couple of blocks.  We won't have a car and are happy to use public transport when we need to leave "our little neighborhood."  Do you know of such an area?  We live in Barcelona, Spain right now, but will move along soon for the next destination. We're both retired from our careers and now write books together about wherever we live.  Hope to meet some of you when I visit, probably in October 2013 for the initial reconnaissance survey to see if such a neighborhood is available to meet her needs.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I split your topic off from Introductions to a more appropriate category.

I don't know if I would call it world class but Fitness First in the Ayala Mall has all that. Not cheap, membership was around p3k per month depending on terms and trainers are extra. They have a lot of yoga, aerobics, etc activities and classes. Lots of equipment so no waiting, also lots of social opportunities. There are many health clubs to choose from. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

This doesn't answer the original post but is related.

I looked into joining a gym while living in San Fernando, La Union. I found a small gym that had sufficient equipment for a weight workout. As I recall it was only 500php/month. I ended up not using the gym because it was not air conditioned and I wasn't looking forward to working out when the temperature outside was 30-35C.

Now that I live in Baguio which has a very moderate climate I joined a gym earlier this week. Altitude Gym on Legarda. They have all the basic weight equipment, maybe 8 exercise bicycles, 2 elliptical (for women only) and 2 tread mills. Since the treadmills require electricity they are an additional 1 peso per minute. The cardio machines have a nice view of Baguio through large floor to ceiling windows. They also have a separate room for martial arts training. There is a change room and CR but no showers. It is family owned and operated and they have been very helpful getting me started on a workout routine. At this point the gym has only had 6-10 people working out while I have been there with no problem with equipment availability during my workout. Cost is 850php/month.

• Like 1

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Hi, I think there are a few area's that could be of interest to you, but for ease of transport and location to all amenities I would recommend either Ayala, plenty of new condo's all around within a few minutes walk of the main Ayala Centre with an abundance of restaurants, shops & the Fitness first gym as already mentioned. 
Second area would be banilad, again close to all amenities, easy to get taxi's to and from Ayala, various bars & restaurants, shopping malls and close to Holiday Spa, which has a great gym salon, various classes and a very good swimming pool that is usually pretty quiet. 

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted

From your description   ..  Ayala  / Fitness First is the place to be.     plenty of condos near the Mall where the  Gym is located.   One downside is that   fitness first closes at early   10 and 9 pm.. depending.      The area is perfect for those looking for short time stays and can afford its realatively higher rents .   The Ayala terraces mall where the gym is located  has  all services a lady could desire and the Gym is well equipped and managed.    

• Like 2