Memorial Day

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

For those who was able to attend the MEMORIAL DAY event  at the American cemetery was a very well attended event.

the New Zealand, Canadian ambassador was in attendance as Mayor Lim.

(for those who are new or not aware His father or grandfather was the 1st Filipino,who was selected to attend and graduated from WEST POINT ,he later fought in the bataan  battles,survived the death march.was released and took up arms again against the japs .was captured and killed)

I had the opportunity to speak with the HEAD of the VA services( i think he is the OIC) name is Christopher

he shared w/me that if i knew of any veterans ,

1.that they should at least inquire to see if they are eligible for VA services 

2. info them that a VA clinic does exist here

.as MANY vets are totally unaware of the VA SERVICES or CLINIC is available. he stated that they have made many improvements in the past yr, (some of it is in office regarding hardware/software) and has helped some increase the "rating" of their disability 

interesting note he made was that the US sends/disburses over 10million Dollars each month ( i think it was higher)

and has over 15000 veterans or veterans dependents receiving benefits in country..

another item i was told about ,but .... i failed to make a note was that the US is making a new "WW2" veterans(rp citizens)

benefit act. of what i recall, that those who are TRUE WW2 veterans or their adult children will be fast tracked to get their US citizenship,

again, i didnt take notes and since this doesnt apply directly to me i didnt pay attention.

so full and accurate info please read the embassy website or other means to get the complete story

if your near a VFW or RAO please keep in contact w/them so they can pass on any info that may be of use to you.

• Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted
New Zealand, Canadian ambassador was in attendance as Mayor Lim.

And where was our lustrous American Ambassador .... out making more wonderful statements to further alienate the Americans from the Filipino people ..... I'll bet Christine Kelly would have attended ....  :thumbsup: 

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
New Zealand, Canadian ambassador was in attendance as Mayor Lim.

And where was our lustrous American Ambassador .... out making more wonderful statements to further alienate the Americans from the Filipino people ..... I'll bet Christine Kelly would have attended .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Ambassor Thomas was in attendance as 1 of the main speakers

as well as General Bautista Chief of Staff AFP, (and for our marines)

Lt.general Kenneth J,Glueck jr

Commander general 3rd Marine expeditionary force

(although i did not speak w/LTGeneral Glueck. i did relay my condolences to 1 of his jr officers about the lost of 1 of their men here in manila)

forgot to mention that the VP of the philippines was in attendance

here is a link from MWR regarding memorial day

http://www.armymwr.com/memorial-day.aspx

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

here is some photos from the event taken by a expat who lives on Corregidor(yes thats pretty much isolated)

in the link is only some of the photos that he took, 1 photo not shown was an "ATEA"(not spelled correct) he was helpful during the war in which he saved some down pilots and brought them to safety, photo of the "new"VA head was taken but not shown in this link(wearing blue suit)

http://steveandmarciaontherock.blogspot.com/

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

here are some of the photos that was taken at the event .

i added some photos that was not listed on the above link.

post-1293-0-66667100-1369805008_thumb.jp this is a photo of a WW2 guerrilla who had helped some soldiers/airman survive 

post-1293-0-76200900-1369805038_thumb.jp

post-1293-0-63333000-1369805093_thumb.jp This is of Mr lane a long time expat of 50 ? plus years and I believe in the head or director  of the AAP

post-1293-0-31949800-1369805177_thumb.jp,, this is the NEW VA OIC (in blue suit)

post-1293-0-96326000-1369805229_thumb.jp  photo  of the  1 many heros who now rest w/their brothers

post-1293-0-33681900-1369806833_thumb.jp

post-1293-0-90856100-1369807031_thumb.jp this is 1 of the forums member daughter who attended the event now for 4 years

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

As a teen, I knew a gentleman who had lost both his legs in WW2 during one of the battles in the Pacific.  After one of our Remembrance Day ceremonies in Canada, I asked him what he thought of being front and centre for the presentations.  He looked at me with this really pained look and I felt about 2 inches tall...   I could see the tears forming in his eyes...  And he said, "I wish there never ever was a reason for having any Remembrance Day!"

I don't think it had any bearing on my future actions (I still blame it on that blonde) but I eventually became a member of the Canadian Armed Forces and have lived my life with the desire not for war but to prevent war throughout this wonderful world of ours.

Yes, I give thanks to each and every one who gave all in their service to their country through their response of standing up and doing what is right.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2