Help Finding Scooter?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This is primarily a post asking for help from people who live in or visit Manila, but anyone who thinks they can help please respond.

I have been promising my wife a 50 or 60 cc scooter for 4 years now.  We see a few battered old units being driven around from time to time but I told her it needs to be a new (or almost new) unit as she will have trouble getting it repaired in the province so an old one is not a good solution (plus a friend bought his wife an old one and the motor packed it in within the year).

What we do NOT want is a Mio Sporty or similar scooter.  We do NOT want a pocket bike or electric bike/scooter.  I am starting to wonder if they even have what we want in the Philippines.

There is (or was) a company called Manila Imperial Motor Sales.  They offered a Zion Jireh 60 cc motorscooter.  The latest sites I can find for it  date back to 2009.  They had a showroom in SM MEGA MALL, SM Pampanga.

Does anyone know if it is still there?  Does anyone know if Manila Imperial Motor Sales still exists and where and do they have 50 or 60 cc scooters for sale?  Is there anyone, anywhere in the Philippines that offers that type of bike (must be street legal not pocket bike).

Why is it so hard to find a 50 or 60 cc, lightweight (ultra light weight) scooter in the Philippines?  They used to be all over the place.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Dave, I have been in SM Pampanga a few times recently, but I don't recall seeing scooters.  I'll take a closer look next time.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

They may still be in business...  I found this from the 17th of May this year...  Note that the information is still showing the 2009 stuff...

http://carinsurance.wordwd.com/2013/05/17/manila-imperial-motor-sales-12/

Though this may help convince you that the company is still in business...  They are looking for salesmen in this ad dated 24 March, 2013.   Anybody looking for a job in sales?  You need to know how to ride a scooter!

http://jobs.mitula.ph/offer-detalle/1874/97654307728967637/1/1/manila-imperial-motor-sales/Maxi24

Hope this helps you some!  Now go and get the Boss Lady her bike!!!

:mocking:

Edited by I am bob
bob can't spell
  • Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well, I do not understand why you prefer a Chinese made model, with a poor record, over a Yamaha / Honda / or similar with a proven record of reliability. Those Chinese scooters are also sold in the US and I am not aware of anyone who is happy with their Chinese made scooter. Many pawnshops will not take them or if they do, it is 5 cents on the dollar. Poor resale value.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think the issue is Dave Hounddriver is looking for a scooter based on size and weight constraints and most of the Japanese brand scooters I have seen in Philippine advertising, were minimum 14 inch wheels and only a few kilos if any less in weight than their larger cousins. 750mm seat height and 90 kilo seems to be the bottom end. if you want a low seat height, smaller wheels would probably give a better starting point. Quality, small wheel scooters being scarce would probably also be expensive. Does TGB (Taiwan) sell scooters there? They have one model that is only 78 kilo.

Any incorrect assumptions reflect only on me.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I think the issue is Dave Hounddriver is looking for a scooter based on size and weight constraints and most of the Japanese brand scooters I have seen in Philippine advertising, were minimum 14 inch wheels and only a few kilos if any less in weight than their larger cousins. 750mm seat height and 90 kilo seems to be the bottom end. if you want a low seat height, smaller wheels would probably give a better starting point. Quality, small wheel scooters being scarce would probably also be expensive. Does TGB (Taiwan) sell scooters there? They have one model that is only 78 kilo.

Any incorrect assumptions reflect only on me.

In Catbalogan, you can buy a Chinese scooter for 1,000p down and 1,500p every 2 weeks. Why? Because even out on Samar, the Chinese scooters have a bad reputation. And there are many at the dealership which have been repossessed. Why? Because the owners can afford to repair them. So they simply turn it back into the dealer.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I think the issue is Dave Hounddriver is looking for a scooter based on size and weight constraints and most of the Japanese brand scooters I have seen in Philippine advertising, were minimum 14 inch wheels and only a few kilos if any less in weight than their larger cousins.

You got it.  I would love a Honda if they had 50 cc Hondas available here like they do in Canada.  But they don't seem to have them here. (Edit - yes there are tons of old ones advertised on Internet but no dealers/importers of new 50 cc Hondas like the Dio etc.  Wonder why that is? . . .  I just asked the local Honda dealer if he could order one for me and no chance.  Smallest they have available is 100cc)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Dave most likely no help to you but here in oz Honda make a 50cc scooter called today 50 it is 71kgs and auto trans.single cylinder.Last year I was in Cebu and asked a Honda dealer about ordering a new  1000cc fireblade they told me it was possible,but I would have to pay upfront and wait till they placed an order from Honda and it would be a special order so no returns.Also if a failure happened with the bike I would have to wait for parts to arrive. :cheersty:

• Like 3

brock
Posted
Posted

bought nesa this bike, it is 150cc, She is a tiny girl, but can handle it ok no problem.

motorstar dealership.

post-7-0-65733500-1369912557_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

You can also check out,        , tinker motors,          ,on facebook