Sunday's Crash With Road Train Were Filipino

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I wonder if they were tourist since it appears they were on the wrong side of the road?  :(

Two men killed and two injured in Sunday's crash with road train were Filipino nationals, police say

THE two men killed in a head-on collision between a car and a road train on the Warrego Highway Queensland Australia yesterday are believed to be Filipino nationals, police say.
The other two men from the car, also believed to be from the Philippines, were taken to hospital - "one with critical injuries and the other with serious injuries".
Dalby police say they are trying to contact the Philippine Consulate to confirm the identities.
Initial police investigations suggest the car was travelling on the wrong side of the road when it collided head-on with the road train about 2.30pm on Sunday.

post-1-0-77610700-1370256421_thumb.jpg

full story

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There was actually 2 men who survived the crash?  After seeing the picture of the car, I am totally amazed!

Julia
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wonder if they were tourist since it appears they were on the wrong side of the road?  :(

a big possibility, big boss...tsk tsk tsk! :no:

Edited by ako si julia
  • Like 2

namoi
Posted
Posted

looks like they were hammering it, although having said that i came through there with my caravan last week and the road is pretty well stuffed, i was down to 75/80k and wandering from side to side as the road is well out of shape with all the heavy gear being moved out to the gas sites, you see the road trains heading towards you and the 2nd trailer is tracking up to 500cm off line from the prime mover, there is no money west of Toowoomba for infrastrucure even though that is where a LOT of the state money comes from 

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

The movie Road Warrior, Mad Max gone bad.  How fast can these beasts go?

post-686-0-32829300-1370271459_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted

Driving on the wrong side of the road......Nothing new there then :)

• Like 2

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Jake the road trains are speed limited to 110 ks per hour but a 5min adjustment under the bonnet and you are off like a bondi tram.last time one passed me I was speeding 140ks per hour and it passed me  without too much trouble,in a couple of minutes it was out of sight so I guess 160-170 ks. :cheersty:

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks Lyno for the information!  Dang.....those guys are really like the drivers in Mad Max.

I can spend hours being fascinated with the vastness of the outback of Australia using Google

Earth.  Long stretch of highways (300 miles plus) without turning the wheel at all.  Interstate

highway 10 going through Texas is nothing compare to this.  

Those road train drivers must be a special breed.....alone most of the time but yet dedicated

to their job, going nearly 100 mph for hours and hours.  Like a Nimitz class aircraft carrier, it

probably take nearly a mile just to stop.  My condolences to anyone and anything (Kangaroos,

cattle, dingo dogs) and tourists not realizing they're driving on the wrong side of hell.  

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

namoi
Posted
Posted

Thanks Lyno for the information!  Dang.....those guys are really like the drivers in Mad Max.

I can spend hours being fascinated with the vastness of the outback of Australia using Google

Earth.  Long stretch of highways (300 miles plus) without turning the wheel at all.  Interstate

highway 10 going through Texas is nothing compare to this.  

Those road train drivers must be a special breed.....alone most of the time but yet dedicated

to their job, going nearly 100 mph for hours and hours.  Like a Nimitz class aircraft carrier, it

probably take nearly a mile just to stop.  My condolences to anyone and anything (Kangaroos,

cattle, dingo dogs) and tourists not realizing they're driving on the wrong side of hell.  

Respectfully -- Jake

roo`s and pigs mainley, that is where the food in the mobile food vans come from, lol

• Like 3

samatm
Posted
Posted (edited)

never heard of "Road Train"  until just now.    Must be an  Aussie thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_train

Edited by samatm