Bringing Pets

Txpinoy7850
Posted
Posted

Hey guys.......longtime traveler.....but never brought a pet.....How much of a hassle will that be(entering the Phils?) Dog and cat kinda pet.Costs and requirements?                Thanks!!!

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We are planning on bringing our dogs when we move later this year.  Below is taken from the Philippine Embassy (San Franciso) web site.  In addition, you will need to check with the requirements of the airline that you will be flying.

Good Luck.

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Import permit obtained from the Philippine Bureau of Animal Industry

- This can be obtained online via www.bai.ph; click ‘services’, then ‘online application’ (under Information and Support) or go to www.bai.ph/Onapp.aspx. Specific requirements for dogs and cats, wild and exotic animals and other pets, and live animals are listed.

- For further questions, email quarantine_bai@yahoo.com or call 011-632-920-0816

2. Health certificate issued by US authority and authenticated by Philippine Embassy or Consulate.

- Secure a health certificate for each pet from a duly licensed veterinarian or from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The health certificate should be dated within 30 days before the date of arrival in the Philippines. The health certificate should certify that the animal is free from, and has not been recently exposed to, any dangerous or communicable disease, and that it has been given anti-rabies and other required inoculations.

- Submit the health certificate/s for authentication to the Philippine Embassy/Consulate (please check the consulate finder or the consulates link in the Embassy website for the states covered by the Embassy/Consulates in the U.S.).

a. Enclose self-addressed return envelope, with appropriate stamps, via US Postal Service or private courier of choice, preferably with tracking numbers, if authenticated health certificate is to be mailed back to sender.

b. Enclose authentication fee of $25 (non-refundable), payable in money order, bank draft, certified check or cashier’s check, or cash when personally applying.Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.

3. The import permit and authenticated health certificate must be presented at the airport upon the arrival of the pet. (Failure to present import permit and authenticated health certificate may result in pet/s being quarantined upon arrival in the Philippines)

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

We are planning on bringing our dogs when we move later this year.  Below is taken from the Philippine Embassy (San Franciso) web site.  In addition, you will need to check with the requirements of the airline that you will be flying.

Good Luck.

Hello Mike J,

It is members like you that makes this forum the best in town.  You are relatively new and yet you felt

the need to help your fellow expats.  Unlike Mike S, our resident douche bag who likes abusing me

everyday.  Well done, my friend!

Respectfully -- Jake

PS -- joke lang Mike S....I still lub you no chit, buy me drink.

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Jake you shameless drink slut ...... you know me lub you long time ..... (now that we got the formalities over with) ..... :hystery: :hystery:

Txpinoy7850 ....... I have also read somewhere that sometimes it is next to impossible to later take your pet back out of the Philippines should you decide to leave ...... however I can't remember where I read that .... but I think it was when I was going to bring my dog from the US about 6 years ago ..... do a Google on bringing (dogs or pets) into the Philippines i believe there are lots of good info from other places .... :cheersty:
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

I guess one other alternative is to purchase a mutt in the Philippines.  Are pet shops common in PI?

Good selections of pure or semi pure breeds, like a big ass German Shepard?  What would be the

price range for a GS puppy?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

I guess one other alternative is to purchase a mutt in the Philippines.  Are pet shops common in PI?

Good selections of pure or semi pure breeds, like a big ass German Shepard?  What would be the

Check Sulit:

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/14012086/World+Class+German+Shepherd+Dogs+for+Sale?referralKeywords=dogs&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-1,1

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

Check Sulit:

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/14012086/World+Class+German+Shepherd+Dogs+for+Sale?referralKeywords=dogs&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-1,1

Was that 800 bucks, even for a GS puppy?  I guess I have to settle for a mutt typically found on the streets.....he, he.

Thanks for the info OMW!

• 2 months later...
Amed
Posted
Posted

Helo Jake,

Thank you fro your greeting and the info regarding bringing your pet to the Philippines. I am getting cold feet with regard to bringing my sweet old Boxer for the following reasons:

1- to travel all the way to Cebu, she will be locked for about 20 hours. Not sure if that would hurt her

2- The flight from San Francisco to Manila makes a stop in Guam. I am very concerned because it will be hot in January. If they do not take the dog out the hold during that stop over she will die from the heart.

3-Although I was initially planning to stay for one year before deciding if I should reside there, I read that I cannot take her back. 

So, to cut the long story short...I think the best solution is NOT to bring her to the Philippines at all, unless I know I am not going back, which is not the case. I decided that it is best that I would leave her behind with good friends who are willing to keep her and I would reduce my trial period to 6 months. When I return back to the US, should I decide that I want to live permenantly in the Philippines and she is in good health, then may be I will take the risk.

My heart is breaking just by the thought of leaving her behind. We are never apart as I work also from home.

I am determined to come in January though, and now I am looking for a nice place on or near the beach, outside of the city of Cebu. I was told Car car, consolacion, Danao, Carmen...

Any advice?...or name of reputable Realtor?

Thank you

Amed

• Like 1