How Do Customs Assess The Value Of Imported Goods?

dsphilip
Posted
Posted

I have about five cubic meters of personal effects (books, CDs, and some oriental carpets) that I want to import to the Philippines from Korea. I'm currently on a tourist visa and have been told that I would have to pay about 30 per cent duty plus 12 per cent VAT to bring the goods in. But how do customs arrive at a total valuation of the goods once they're here? Does any body have a rough idea of how much this might cost...are we talking a couple of thousand dollars or significantly more? Is the cost of doing this on a tourist visa prohibitive or should I bite the bullet and change my visa status? Any advice appreciated. David Scott Philip

Mike S
Posted
Posted

If the items will fit in balik-bayan boxes do that .... there is no customs that I'm aware of by shipping that way ..... but it may take a month (well maybe not form Korea) but customs doesn't usually get involved unless they become suspicious ..... most BB boxes just get sent right on through ..... have no idea who to use or recommend in Korea ....  :thumbsup: 

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
But how do customs arrive at a total valuation of the goods once they're here? Does any body have a rough idea of how much this might cost...

I don't know when it's biger deliveries as yours,

but in other situations no one knows, not even the custom people themselves  :)  =it's kind of random.

E g

/often they haven't bother about even expensive things

/while some other time the Custom value things higher than the used things were worth new!  (E g one thought of "Will I throw this old phone away or bring it?" He brought it, and he had to PAY more than it was worth...   :)

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think when you arrange for a shipping company to move your goods a declaration is filled out as in the value of the load. The shipper is the best to get advice from as he would have done this before and have an idea of what to declare and what the possible costs will be.

But as suggested, if you can fit it into babalikan boxes then that would be easier.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Some things they have a book value for (ie: computers) but I don't think they use it often.  I sent my Special Someone a netbook I picked up for just under $150 / P6000, insured it for $100 / p4000 (it was free up to that amount) and it was taxed based on $100 / P4000.  Actually computers don't have much duty on them - the $7 case actually cost more for duty.

• 1 month later...
AnnieLopez
Posted
Posted

Interesting to read this thread, I look forward for more postings of similar topics from you gentlemen..

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I have about five cubic meters of personal effects (books, CDs, and some oriental carpets) that I want to import to the Philippines from Korea. I'm currently on a tourist visa and have been told that I would have to pay about 30 per cent duty plus 12 per cent VAT to bring the goods in. But how do customs arrive at a total valuation of the goods once they're here? Does any body have a rough idea of how much this might cost...are we talking a couple of thousand dollars or significantly more? Is the cost of doing this on a tourist visa prohibitive or should I bite the bullet and change my visa status? Any advice appreciated. David Scott Philip

Very simple, they assess the value of what you are sending by the value of the person sending it or receiving it!!!

So if you are sending from a country where the perception is you are rich, and you happen to have a foreign sounding name,.... it will cost you a great deal!

There are many reports of people being charged 10 times the value of what you are sending, in that way you won't bother paying, and they get to take it home when they are finished for the day, in other words "Lunch Time"

Papa Carl

• Like 3