Living In Imus

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

I've been here for five months so I thought I would let everyone know how I have found things here.  Arrived Jan 17 and had a hotel room in Copacabana in Pasay booked for a month.  Nice hotel I used it all the time when I visited.  I've been coming to the Philippines two or three times a year for three years.   Started looking for somewhere semi permanent.  The house she lives in with her mother and siblings is way to crowded  for me.  Went on Sulit one day and found what looked like a reasonable apartment.  Phoned up and the agent said the two bedroom wasn't available would you like to look at a 1 bedroom.  Had a look and it was quite good so I said I would take it.  10,000 fully furnished with internet, cable and water included.   5000 reservation fee, 5000 security deposit and 1 months rent.  within the month a two bedroom came vacant and I was offered that 13500 monthly.  1st months electric came in at 260p, 2nd 400p last one 1600p.  first month I was on my own and don't use fan or aircon.  The next one is due and I'm not looking forward to that.  Its in Imus Cavite. 30 minutes from Manila and 1 hour from Tagatay and 2 hours from Lian in Batangas.  Having read the forum for some time I thought I was in the wrong country.  Its to quiet.  even the roosters which are just outside my window keep quiet till 7am.  I'm right next to Gen Aquinaldo Highway and don't hear traffic, and there's no videoke at all.  I'm starting to think this is the place we should be.  At the moment one weekend a month I go to somewhere different .  This month was Bohol and I do recommend it as a place to visit.  Thats why I keep getting emails for phil air I've flown with them a few times. There has been some small negatives but not enough to out way the positives.  I even enjoy going to Intermuros to do my visa extensions.   

• Like 3

namoi
Posted
Posted

I've been here for five months so I thought I would let everyone know how I have found things here.  Arrived Jan 17 and had a hotel room in Copacabana in Pasay booked for a month.  Nice hotel I used it all the time when I visited.  I've been coming to the Philippines two or three times a year for three years.   Started looking for somewhere semi permanent.  The house she lives in with her mother and siblings is way to crowded  for me.  Went on Sulit one day and found what looked like a reasonable apartment.  Phoned up and the agent said the two bedroom wasn't available would you like to look at a 1 bedroom.  Had a look and it was quite good so I said I would take it.  10,000 fully furnished with internet, cable and water included.   5000 reservation fee, 5000 security deposit and 1 months rent.  within the month a two bedroom came vacant and I was offered that 13500 monthly.  1st months electric came in at 260p, 2nd 400p last one 1600p.  first month I was on my own and don't use fan or aircon.  The next one is due and I'm not looking forward to that.  Its in Imus Cavite. 30 minutes from Manila and 1 hour from Tagatay and 2 hours from Lian in Batangas.  Having read the forum for some time I thought I was in the wrong country.  Its to quiet.  even the roosters which are just outside my window keep quiet till 7am.  I'm right next to Gen Aquinaldo Highway and don't hear traffic, and there's no videoke at all.  I'm starting to think this is the place we should be.  At the moment one weekend a month I go to somewhere different .  This month was Bohol and I do recommend it as a place to visit.  Thats why I keep getting emails for phil air I've flown with them a few times. There has been some small negatives but not enough to out way the positives.  I even enjoy going to Intermuros to do my visa extensions.   

Thanks for that, I have been reading a couple of forums and am starting to think that it may be a wrong move to head that way, I am no shrinking violet by any means, but walk away and try to avoid any crap that comes my way now and just looking for somewhere quiet where i can settle down and have a peacefull and happy life. maybe i have to read between the lines then

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The traffic and noise may increase because that's the approximate area where Philippine Airlines plans to build a new airport. They alluded to somewhere in Bulacan as a smoke screen while the San Miguel Corporation group started buying the 2,000 hectares needed for the project. It's probably years away knowing how things move in the Philippines.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Its too quiet and the roosters keep quiet until 7am?  Are you sure you are in the Philippines. Those must not be Filipino roosters. Maybe someone brought them here from the West.

I'm glad you found a place where you can live in piece and quiet. There doesn't seem to be many of them in the Philippines.

My wife and I will be going to Bohol soon for a vacation. Its a nice place to visit if you know where to go.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Great positive post Malcolm.

That electric bill sure seems to be climbing. No videokie? Quite roosters. Looks like you found home.   :thumbsup:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks for that, I have been reading a couple of forums and am starting to think that it may be a wrong move to head that way, I am no shrinking violet by any means, but walk away and try to avoid any crap that comes my way now and just looking for somewhere quiet where i can settle down and have a peacefull and happy life. maybe i have to read between the lines then

Malcolm - great post and great find!  I know a lot of forum members who are now jealous!

Namoi - as with anything you read in a forum, there are always exceptions!  Even in areas that are not so desirable, a gem can be found.  Remember - the information you read here and elsewhere is always people's opinions and experiences - they may not be your own so never say No just because somebody else did!  One thing that I love about the Philippines is that there is so much variation in everything and everywhere!

A big  :thumbsup: to you both!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
fred
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the positive report!

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Stanley house in Sapphire street right?

Glad you are enjoying your stay there BTW!!

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Great Post, and good to here another expat with something positive to say. 

I have often wondered about that area, when Ellie and I drive by on our way down to Indang in Cavite to visit relatives on her fathers side, might stop next time and have a closer look around.

Papa Carl