Looking For Reliable Car In Manila

Nicole Wiesen
Posted
Posted

Hi All- My husband and I along with our son are moving to Manila in September.We are looking for any information that would help us find reliable cars, if buying things in Manila is cost effective or should we just have them shipped from the US.

Any information would be appreciated. Looking forward to talking with many of you.

Nicole

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hi All- My husband and I along with our son are moving to Manila in September.We are looking for any information that would help us find reliable cars, if buying things in Manila is cost effective or should we just have them shipped from the US.

Any information would be appreciated. Looking forward to talking with many of you.

Nicole

Hello Nicole,

Even if you are a Filipino national, the massive paperwork to import a vehicle into the Philippines is

a serious undertaking.  And adding salt to the wounds, here is a quotation from Bureau of Customs:

(source: http://customs.gov.ph/faqs/motor-vehicles-boats-yachts/)

8. IS THE IMPORTED VEHICLE SUBJECT TO TAXES AND DUTIES?

Yes. Whether brand-new or used, purchased or donated, the imported vehicle is subject to 40% Customs duty, 10% VAT and Ad Valorem Tax from 15% to 100% depending on its piston displacement. Its book value serves as the tax base and not the purchase price nor the acquisition cost. The book value is sourced from universally accepted motor vehicle reference books such as the Red Book, Blue Book, World Book depending on the origin of the imported vehicle.

Besides the shipping cost, now you're faced with nearly 100 percent of the value of your vehicle going

to the deep pockets of the customs agents.  May I suggest possibly buying a used or new vehicle in the

Philippines.  Use our internal search (upper right corner) to find the topics related to your concern.

Best of luck, respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Nicole

If you are going to buy used then the first thing will be to locate a reliable and trusted mechanic who can inspect cars with you.  Perhaps a member can recommend one.

• Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

If you do not know the owner and the history of the car, do not buy it. Filipinos neglect their cars to an amazing extend. If they are wealthy they change the car every 5-6 years and other than the first service they never changed oil or anything else while the keep the car.

trusted mechanics is a major gamble too...hard to find good mechanics.

Buy a new one!!!!

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I agree with the above re: lack of maintenance but buying a new car is not necessarily the panacea. This OpEd article from Sunday's paper details what can happen here even with a new car. Laws protecting the consumer are lacking. 

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If you do look at buying a used car, one of the simple checks for poor maintenance is the sniff check.  Pull the oil dipstick out and check to see if the oil is clean.  Bring a piece of white paper towel or rag for this.  Sniff it - does it smell burnt at all?  If the car has an automatic transmission, try the same with the dipstick for the tranny - but start the car and let it run for a minute of two first and then run the shifter through all the gear positions a couple times (HOLD THE BREAK PEDAL DOWN!) before checking it.  Does it smell burnt or funny?  Take the car for a test drive and then check both again.  If the smells change towards a burnt or tainted smell, it is a car that was given a fast change of fluids to probably cover a lack of maintenance.  Another - and very easy check - is to remove the oil filler cap (make sure the car is turned off unless you like to wear oil) and then run your finger inside and across the bottom of the cover.  If the car was properly maintained, it may feel a little rough but you should not be able to rub off any large crud - just a little bit maybe.  If it feels really rough and you can get you finger covered in a lot of gunk, don't walk but run away as fast as you can!

:mocking:

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Another thing to look for is if it has been flooded. I am extremely leery of this as we have had some significant flooding over the last couple of years. Dig your hand into some hard to reach places under the dash, etc. and see if you get any debris, mold, etc.

I would never buy a flooded vehicle no matter what the owner says has been done to it. The wiring and electrical system alone will start to rust away within 2-3 years and then you will have major problems...

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I concur about a car that was flooded. Years ago my car got water up to just below the dash in a flash flood. Even though the interior was completely stripped out and cleaned and all the fluids changed that car was never the same afterward. Little problems would occur like the speedometer cable breaking, etc.