Bee Keeping

ozepete
Posted
Posted

Has anyone tried bee keeping in The Phils?

Or does anyone know anything about bees and honey production. 

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I haven't done any bee keeping but I'm sure you can find the information on the Internet with a search. I believe its a simple process which you can easily learn.

I buy honey in the Philippines and it has always been good quality and taste. I have two bottles now that were put in the Tanduay Rhum 375 ml bottles for me. The cost was P150 each. I say they are good quality because the honey was in a bucket with the honey cone and I have had the last two bottles for one month and there is no sugar forming in the bottom of the bottles. If sugar is fed to the bees sugar will slowly start to appear in the bottom of the container its stored in. Maybe sugar is too expensive for most bee keepers in the Philippines so its not used for bees.

There's not many people selling locally produced honey in the Philippines so it could be a good business to try. Let us know if you try raising bees.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is a bee keepers association at the University of Philippines, Los Banos that promotes and provides assistance to newbies.. Also try the Philippines bee keepers forum for additional information including purchasing a colony. Bee honey is currently in demand and many bee keepers limit their sales to regular customers.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

1-3 years ago - I have bad memory for time :)  -  it was a huge problem, making a big part of the bees die. 

In a fruit producing region in China did all bees die, so they have to do the pollination by hand.

One theory(/sure?) was they didn't found their way home by some disturbance from pesticides or virus. 

I don't know if it's solved.

An other problem in EUROPE is an ASIAN wasp has spread there killing the bees. I don't know if the Asian bees have found a solution to avoid that.

If these problems are solved OK, then I believe it's a good business idea.

It promote the crops too, where the beehives are put, which perhaps can make additional income.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I'm more of a bee 'get ridder' than a bee keeper.  Where I live I have had 2 large swarms of honey bees drop by.  Both times they have tried to congregate in areas that I am not in favor of.  Thank goodness for Baygon.  A couple cans in their midst will keep them from sticking around.

Wishing you the best of luck but hope my neighbors don't follow your lead.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I'm more of a bee 'get ridder' than a bee keeper.  Where I live I have had 2 large swarms of honey bees drop by.  Both times they have tried to congregate in areas that I am not in favor of.  Thank goodness for Baygon.  A couple cans in their midst will keep them from sticking around.

Wishing you the best of luck but hope my neighbors don't follow your lead.

But aren't they peaceful as Swedish bees?

They don't do anything bad, if you don't squeze them, or threat their nest.  (Most Swedish wasps don't attack people either, but some wasps are aggresive when not doing anything bad to them too.)

One of my second cousins even used bees as "dolls", when she was kid, picking them up and moved them around in her "dollhouse" drawn on the ground, WITHOUT they did sting her!  :dance:     (Her father had some beehives, so there were many "dolls" available to chose from.)

• Like 2