A Bit Of Everything...

mrnmrssmith
Posted
Posted

We are unexpectedly relocating to Cebu City from the U.S. to accommodate my husband's work requirements. We have never been to Cebu and are bringing our two young children (4 years and 2 years) and our dog. We are excited for the opportunity and adventure, but also overwhelmed with the surprise of it and the complete lack of guidance or resources that we have. I'm so glad I came across this site and look forward to learning more about everything, because we know nothing at this point- except that we are moving to Cebu City. We would really appreciate some feedback on the following:

-My husband is working in downtown Cebu City and our children will (most likely) attend Cebu International School, where are the most expat friendly neighborhoods in the area? Preferably somewhere in between work and school? A very safe area is a must, preferably with expat families and young children. We would like a 4+ bedroom house with, at least, a bit of yard. Are there any rural parts in the area we are looking to be in? I would love a garden, trees and space for our kids.

-We have not decided if we will buy a home or rent, in general, what do most expats do? Do rental homes generally permit large dogs (a well-trained Great Dane)? Do neighborhoods generally permit large dogs?

-What is the best resource to find available houses? Is there an honest, licensed Realtor that anyone recommends?

-Is it necessary to have a driver in the city?

-Are there parts of the city that are safer than others in relation to Typhoons and other natural causes? Is it better to be up in the hills or lower down?

-If anyone else was once in a similar position, we would love to hear what you did that was positive and what you would have done differently. 

Thank you so much in advance for any guidance you can give us!!! If there's any other information or suggestions you have, please don't hesitate to share! 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
-We have not decided if we will buy a home or rent, in general, what do most expats do? Do rental homes generally permit large dogs (a well-trained Great Dane)? Do neighborhoods generally permit large dogs?

When house hunting for a rental, its okay to mention you have a dog. You are not required to volunteer information on size. Try to be nonchalant as in, "Oh.... My dog is bigger than your average lap dog."  Neighbors have no say as to size, unless the location is a gated village with association rules. My son has a Great Dane. As a breed, they are docile and well behaved. Delilah thinks she is a lap dog, which gets uncomfortable after a few minutes. Never tell the neighbors your dog is gentle. Their size is very intimidating. Humans have this primeval fear of being eaten by animals. Growing up in the Philippines, my father had Dobermans with clipped ears, which we paraded around the neighborhood. Never had problems with the neighbors. 

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Mr and Mrs Smith,

It is a daunting task to move your life and property halfway around the world.  Hopefully, your husband's

company will ship your household effects for you.  Regarding the search for a home in Cebu City, please

contact Geoff Thomas: http://cebucityproperty.com/,  He is a British national and a licensed real estate

agent.  He's also a good bloke in this wonderful forum and would be my primary contact upon my arrival

to Cebu.

By the way, love your movie (Brad and Angelina)....he, he.  Respectfully -- Jake

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
-Is it necessary to have a driver in the city?

Even if you are an excellent driver who can adjust to a different set of rules and lack of basic road etiquette, I would still hire a driver. The most important reason is parking or rather, the lack of it. You get off the front. A security guard with a side arm, shotgun or assault rifle will open your car door. The driver disappears with the car. When you are ready to depart, send the driver a text message on his mobile phone. If you wish to save 2.5 cents, arrange it as a phone call, which the driver is forbidden to answer. The ringing is the signal to come. The car and driver will magically reappear.

As my niece who was visiting when we lived in the Philippines said, "I could get used to this." 

Edited by JJReyes

jon1
Posted
Posted

You will need to thoroughly research your dog's transfer. From what I remember, it involves a quarantine in the states (I think several months) and then you have to pay for it to fly (cost was about the same as person's). 

You need to be on the ground waiting when the dog arrives and manuever quickly with the customs personnel to get your dog water after that long arduous flight. I had a former coworker fly his prized dobe in from Hawaii and the dog almost had heat exhaustion by the time that he was able to get to it.

It's not undoable but very complicated..

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

"-My husband is working in downtown Cebu City and our children will (most likely) attend Cebu International School, where are the most expat friendly neighborhoods in the area? Preferably somewhere in between work and school? A very safe area is a must, preferably with expat families and young children. We would like a 4+ bedroom house with, at least, a bit of yard. Are there any rural parts in the area we are looking to be in? I would love a garden, trees and space for our kids."

The layout of Cebu city is north south on a flood plain between mountains to the east and the sea to the west. The city is highly congested and can become smoggy at times. The hills overlooking the city host some nice gated community's with homes you request however they can be very expensive. As a Foreigner you may not own real estate. You may lease land for 50 years or under some conditions own a Condo.Condo's could be a good choice for your family. There are no Expat "compounds" or enclaves in Cebu City.

Petty theft is endemic but simple common sense will prevent it in almost all cases.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I seriously suggest you contact Paul and Elsa who specialize in Expat Relocation among other things.  They can help you with all of your questions.  Not at this address /

Of course everything you do depends on your budget but I remember meeting an Australian family who were sent to Cebu on business.  Paul and Elsa provided them with everything they needed and helped them to arrange a rental in Maria Luisa that was absolutely fabulous.  Well worth contacting them.  They are members here but are usually very busy so they have not been commenting on here too much.

You can't go wrong with them.

• Like 3