Obama Care And The Ex-Pat

chinook
Posted
Posted

With Obama care in effect now, I was wondering what changes it might have for the Ex-pat community. I was reading the paper the other day, and it said that starting next year if you did not have insurance that you would be fined through your tax return a penalty of 100 dollars plus. A year or two later it increases to 500 dollars plus per year. What I am wondering and can't seem to find out, is will this effect people living over-seas. I know it does not make sense to have to keep medical insurance in the U.S. if you are not living there and can't use, but when has common sense ruled any legistlation. Or maybe you will have to provide proof that you have insurance for you and your family in the PI. If it is proof they will want would Phil-health be adequate or would you need a much more comprehensive plan. This may or may not effect us but if it does it could mean alot of money and headaches in our futures. Any answers or ideas on how to find the answers would be appreciated.

robert k
Posted
Posted

They say you have to have healthcare, they don't say where you have to get it or how much it has to cost.

Philhealth looks like the bargain of the century to me and I am willing to pay for it for my girl and I, her immediate family and any collateral family that stands still or moves slowly enough that we can get them signed up, because you know where the request for money is going to be made if someone is in the hospital. I know guys here in the US having $240 a week taken out of their check for themselves a wife and child to have so so coverage.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
What I am wondering and can't seem to find out, is will this effect people living over-seas.

Every legitimate article I have read on this states that if you are a bona fide resident of another country or living there for 330 out of 365 days you are considered to be in compliance with the law and are exempt from penalties. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
Here is a link:

https://www.healthcare.gov/am-i-eligible-for-coverage-in-the-marketplace

Not a lot of detail but maybe you can find more by searching the website.

U.S. citizens living outside the U.S.

U.S. citizens living in a foreign country are not required to get health insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act. If you're uninsured and living abroad, you don't have to pay the fee that other uninsured U.S. citizens may have to pay.

Generally, health insurance coverage in the Marketplace covers health care provided by doctors, hospitals, and medical services within the United States. If you're living abroad, it's important to know this before you consider buying Marketplace insurance.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2