Embassy-Issued 13(A) Visas No Longer Grant Permanent Residency

Markham
Posted
Posted

Until very recently, if a married couple applied for a 13(a) Visa at a Philippine Embassy abroad, the Visa issued granted the holder permanent residency - quite unlike the process in-country where a one-year Probationary Visa would be issued which could then be upgraded to full permanent residency after one year.

Now, the Visa you'll get from the Embassy is a one-year Probationary Visa and you must re-apply for a further three Probationary Visas from BI at yearly intervals before you can apply for permanent residency.

Crazy but true. See the bottom paragraph of the notes accompanying an Embassy-issued 13(a) Visa Application form which states:

Note: The non-quota immigrant visa is a one-year multiple entry visa which should be renewed in the Philippines for three (3) consecutive years. On the fourth year (3rd renewal), the applicant may apply for permanent residency in the Philippines.
  • Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Until very recently, if a married couple applied for a 13(a) Visa at a Philippine Embassy abroad, the Visa issued granted the holder permanent residency - quite unlike the process in-country where a one-year Probationary Visa would be issued which could then be upgraded to full permanent residency after one year.

Now, the Visa you'll get from the Embassy is a one-year Probationary Visa and you must re-apply for a further three Probationary Visas from BI at yearly intervals before you can apply for permanent residency.

Crazy but true. See the bottom paragraph of the notes accompanying an Embassy-issued 13(a) Visa Application form which states:

Note: The non-quota immigrant visa is a one-year multiple entry visa which should be renewed in the Philippines for three (3) consecutive years. On the fourth year (3rd renewal), the applicant may apply for permanent residency in the Philippines.

Sad that the US is even more lax. The new immigration reform allows into the US, MORE Afgans than ever before! And I ain't talking about the dog kind of Afgan.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I've said it before and I will say it again ..... this administration doesn't want permanent residents living here .... "the Philippines is ONLY for Filipinos" .... it is starting to be quoited more and more .... in fact just about anytime he now makes a speech ....

I can only assume that this new provision of 3 year probationary visas is for those still wanting to reside in their own countries but yet become one day a permanent resident of the Philippines ...... I say this because it talks about medical and chest x-ray etc ... which is not required if applying here ..... or has anyone seen where those applying for a 13a in THIS country (Phils) has to go through the same thing ...... 

:cheersty:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I would think that the visa policy should be the same no matter where you apply.  In-country or abroad.  But I also think the married visa should be permanent right away.  They could easily have a provision that a separation within x number of years will nullify the visa.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Now, the Visa you'll get from the Embassy is a one-year Probationary Visa and you must re-apply for a further

three Probationary Visas from BI at yearly intervals before you can apply for permanent residency.

The above comment from Markham leads me to believe another gimmick is in the works here.  Re-applying for

the next 3 years means more visits to BI and of course, newer ways to lubricate the corruption machine.  

Respectfully -- Jake 

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Re-applying for the next 3 years means more visits to BI and of course, newer ways to lubricate the corruption machine.

Yes my friend and just think that means having 3 interviews with the BI lawyers like the one that finally got caught taking bribes ..... maybe some of the others want to catch up with him .... can you say BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ .... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Glad I decided to forget the 13A and stick with a Balikbayan visa.  The less I have to deal with civil servants anywhere in the world, the better I will be.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I say this because it talks about medical and chest x-ray etc ... which is not required if applying here ..... or has anyone seen where those applying for a 13a in THIS country (Phils) has to go through the same thing

The medical and xrays have always been a part of apply from one's home country. Its the same the other way if a Filipino wish to immigrate to our countries. 

I was under the impression it's also has been a requirement when apply in the Philippines ?

11-Medical certificate from the Bureau of Quarantine that alien spouse and unmarried children are not afflicted with any contagious, dangerous and loathsome disease
12- AIDS certification

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I was under the impression it's also has been a requirement when apply in the Philippines ?

JGF ..... I believe it used to be or maybe they brought it back a few years after I got mine but I never had to do it .... :thumbsup: