Future Intercontinental Move.. Getting A Plan Together

imonacan
Posted
Posted

Will be moving next year sometime.. from NY to Cebu. I don't want to think about it all at the last minute, and hope to get together some kind of plan, in advance. 

My wife and daughter are coming first, and then myself. That could be months after, when I get all I need taken care of and arranged here.

Looking for other expat members experiences, on how they did it. Did you use a shipping container, Forex balikbayan boxes, or both ?  

I think I could easily fill a 20' container,  with what we will need to bring. The more valuable items will be carried, or else carefully shipped (and insured) in the boxes. Is there anywhere to store a container, where it is not subject to the extreme heat ? Maybe just use the container for non plastic melting items, and the boxes for the rest.

Just wondering what worked and did not work well , for you.. and how much it all cost. Of course... not bringing everything, but only the personal everyday essentials.

I've gotten some ideas in the various threads, and from elsewhere.. but there is nothing like hearing it from those that have already done it  :)

Thanks in advance... for any tips, info, links, or cost estimations.

Bill

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Some other (Tuka Ram ?)  told he did solve it by send a lot of bb boxes.

I don't know the container costs from NY, but I guess something similar as from Sweden. From Sweden it can cost over 10 000 USD. A beep transporter told a much lower price, when I asked, but they had "forgot" to tell several costs weren't included as e g not even lifting the container onto the ship!  :bash:   How would they transport it, if they don't put it on the ship...  :mocking:    But lucky I got to know before it was to late. Earlier I did plan to send a 20 fot container, but now I have changed plan to sell things I will need in RP too and get new there, the things which are expensive to transport and can be bought in RP. Probably I will bring just what I can transport for free when I fly there some turns, plus send a few bb boxes. (Some computer things, work, Swedish books, some memories plus some things perhaps hard to find there.) I have sold, send to aid or thrown away 20 car loads so far. An additional lorry load will go to auction soon, will be gifts to family or metal scrap for sale. And I have just started  :)