Maid Gets 16 Years For Stealing Earrings

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Yet another example of the Philippine justice system, be poor, steal earring, and get 16 year in prison. I wonder how someone could sentence a person to so many years for a theft without force? The older I get, the less this world makes sense. :SugarwareZ-037: :thumbsup: Maid gets 16 years for stealing earrings http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...ubCategoryId=65

Mike S
Posted
Posted

When I was younger I used to thing no matter how small the crime ... you need to do the time ....... but then as I got older and wiser I realized that the larger the crime the less the time ...... yup ... I agree it doesn't make sense .....

Markham
Posted
Posted

Contributory factors may include the value of what she stole as well as her employer's connections with the "great and good".

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't really have much sympathy for thieves especially stupid thieves. (She left the safe deposit box open and sitting out how stupid can you be?) 16 years is probably a little much. 10 would have been enough.You are absolutely right those who steal big should get even longer sentences. Madoff should get about 1500 years. But he's so old now he'll probably die before he spends a day in jail.

Edited by tom_shor

Mik
Posted
Posted

16 years in prison is not justice. The earrings were recovered. Six months forced labor with the proceeds going to the victim of the theft should be adequate.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

How much did Erap loot? How long did he serve?