New Motorbike Registration

dalidali
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am about to buy a new Honda motorbike at a Honda dealer.

This particular dealer has the model and color I am looking for....3 of them actually.

What really confused me is the temporary operating permit.

The sales person said I could "drive off" the lot with a one day operating permit.

Then went on to say the bike could be operated "provisionally" with weekly renewable permits at 400p per permit renewal.

The sales person said the actual plates would take about one year to get and I could drive the moto on the paper plate until the permanent one arrived.

What I got out of the process was I could drive off with a permit and then have to get additional permits for road operation until the actual registration is complete.

Can someone who has first hand knowledge of this permiting process please respond?

Edited by dalidali

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

I bought my bike in Dec.  The LTO had no plates so I drove around with the "FOR REGISTRATION" plate on the bike.  I finally got the OCR/CR from the dealer in March.  The LTO still had no plates.  I had to keep going to the LTO until they got plates in late April.  You can drive the bike locally with the for reg plate, just have the receipt with you.  As for the 400 peso fee weekly, thats a lot of crap.  They are ripping you off.  Find another dealer.  Many dealers will give you a new receipt showing a new purchase date for free every few weeks  until you get your plate.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

As Steve said you can drive locally, But if you want to go out of the area you do have to get a permit to travel,

And it was about 400p and it only lasts for one week, Maybe you were getting mixed up with that.

My plates took 6 months to appear.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I agree with the other posts about the wait. I did a bit of further research though. The delay is two fold. It seems that the motorcycle importer imports mass quantities of the bikes. The bikes are then grouped together and sold in a 'block' to the individual dealer shops or their parent corporation if the local dealer is one of a chain.

The block of bikes is sold on credit and the importer holds the actual papers needed to get the bikes registered. The importer does not release the papers to the buying dealer until the bikes are paid for. But the dealer will not tell you this.

If you buy from a dealer / importer and not a reseller, you maybe be in a better position time wise. But there is no way to know if your dealer has paid off the 'block' of bikes yet and the delay may be 30 + days until the importer gives the papers to the dealer and then the dealer needs to process the papers and turn into the LTO and all that is done by the dealer 'liaison'.

As far as I am aware, you can travel un molested with the FOR REGISTRATION tag, unless you are a white foreigner and come across a police officer who forgot his lunch money that morning. :hystery:  

Speaking of this, I was stopped by a police officer outside of the city (where he has no authority and he was accompanied by a OLD fat man wearing the highway patrol uniform. The old mad carried a ticket book and did nothing but smile. The younger police officer did all the talking and simply pointed to the OLD man who pretended to get a ticket ready. The person I was with knew it was a scam and we did not pay for anything. Just have a nice day and wear a helmet next time. I also had the FOR REGISTRATION tag and the officer did not pay any attention to it.