European Foreigners Hurt In Crash On Cebu Island.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Collision kills driver, hurts 12 in Badian

By Niña G. Sumacot /FPL (The Philippine Star)  | Updated July 21, 2013 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - A passenger vehicle collided with a truck in Barangay Matutinao, Badian last Friday killing the driver and leaving 11 passengers, including eight foreigners, injured.

The police have identified the fatality as Marwel Pocong, driver of the black Isuzu Elf passenger vehicle. Pocong and his passengers came from Kawasan Falls and were on their way back to Moalboal when their vehicle collided with the cargo truck driven by Vic Balansag at 3 p.m. Balansag was also injured in the collision.

The other victims were identified as tour guides Jimmy Tapales, 41; Mario Tapales, 46; and Edwin Abrenica, 22;  German national Julia Weisheitinger, 23; Australian nationals Samuel Tiaiata, 23, and Denisse Stephanie Campos, 23.

They were brought to Badian District Hospital but were referred to a private hospital in Cebu City because of the serious injuries they sustained.

The other victims who are now in stable condition at the Badian District Hospital  were identified as German national Polan Grether, 22; and Danish nationals Joan Jappesen, 26; Tine Gjerke Hemmingan, 27; Hance Mathias, 30; and Just Peversen Soeren, 26.

Insp. Edgar Labi, Badian police chief, said that Pocong rammed into the cargo truck which was coming from the opposite direction while negotiating at a blind curve in sitio Mandag-om.

Labi said the victims were heading back to Planet Action Resort in Moalboal town after taking a dip at Kawasan Falls when the accident happened.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I've been over those hills from Cebu City to Moalboal many times. It would be my guess the large truck going downhill was encroaching the vans lane. Too bad the driver lost his life I hope the others make a quick recovery.

Wake up call to expats and visitors to have a detailed plan in case of an emergency or hospitalization.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I've been over those hills from Cebu City to Moalboal many times. It would be my guess the large truck going downhill was encroaching the vans lane. Too bad the driver lost his life I hope the others make a quick recovery.

Wake up call to expats and visitors to have a detailed plan in case of an emergency or hospitalization.

I know that is a nasty spot. I always expect the other drivers to be on the wrong side of the road when in that area. Keeps me sharp when driving back to Cebu City. Not a great area for quick response by EURF as well :(. Hope survivers heal quickly and have no complications.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I've been over those hills from Cebu City to Moalboal many times. It would be my guess the large truck going downhill was encroaching the vans lane.

It happened in Badian, south of Moalboal. They were returning to Moalboal from Kawasan Falls, it's a completely different highway. Who may or may not have been to blame in this tragedy is pending the police investigation.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I expect they will each have to pay their own medical bills and even though they are foreigners the bill could easily break them financially.  "referred to a private hospital in Cebu City because of the serious injuries they sustained."  That could easily mean a million pesos or more and who else but the individual is going to pay that.  Just one of the risks of being here.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

"Witnesses told police the van was traveling at high speed when it encroached on the other lane upon reaching a blind curve in Sitio Mandag-om. The van then hit the truck head-on, Labi said."

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2013/07/20/8-foreigners-injured-accident-293599

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Appears to be on the wrong side of the road

post-1-0-70759200-1374371846_thumb.jpg

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yup we have had quite a few encounters with they way people show no respect when driving in the mountains .... which is the main reason I never intend on going back over them in any type of transportation ..... the buses are even worst they will pass you on a blind curb doing 70k per hour down hill and never give it a second thought ..... and if you get behind a 10 wheeler going up hill everyone (except me) tries to pass them any where any time .... it's crazy .... just glad I'm on level ground now ....  :thumbsup:  :hystery:  :hystery: 

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I expect they will each have to pay their own medical bills and even though they are foreigners the bill could easily break them financially.  "referred to a private hospital in Cebu City because of the serious injuries they sustained."  That could easily mean a million pesos or more and who else but the individual is going to pay that.  Just one of the risks of being here.

Another great reason to have great travel insurance, also supplemented with PhilHealth if possible.