21 Day Visa On Arrival

Genius
Posted
Posted

I ve been looking at the Internet and now am more confused than ever.

In the past, I ve always booked a retun ticket, heavily outside the 21 day period and got an extension afterwards via a travel agent. Never had a problem with that, (arriving early August, leaving early December).

However, now they are enforcing the regulations more, I m wondering whether to book a throw away ticket too.

Theoretically, my retun or onward ticket, should be within the 21 day period, because technically they can refuse to give me an extension. Is that right? So, the way around that is a throwaway ?

Or is it ok, as long as I have a return? Even though it is 4 months on?

Also, which is the cheapest throwaway at the moment?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Its ok.  You 'may' have trouble with overly officious Immigration officials when entering the country as each person get treated differently here.  Be polite and he/she will probably give you some lecture and let you in.  Or you can go to his/her superiors who will likely let you in.  Or you can just have a throw away ticket if you run across a cheap one.  Or you may have no trouble at all.

Conclusion, don't worry about it, just be prepared to deal with it if it comes up.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Do you have an ACR card? I was forced to get it with my 2nd extension. Also, since your passport should show multiple extensions from past trips, you can show your travel history of 'legally' staying past 21 days.  

Also... here is some interesting news off GMA.

News » Nation

Starting in August, people from 151 visa-free countries can stay longer in PHL

July 23, 2013 5:30pm

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Tuesday said starting in August, people from 151 countries who can enter the Philippines without a visa are now allowed to stay longer in the Philippines: 30 days instead of 21 days.

BI OIC Commissioner Siegfred Mison said the visa-free entry privilege of foreigners was extended from 21 days to 30 days as part of government efforts to attract more tourists.

The Department of Tourism (DOT) aims to attract at least 10 million foreign tourists by 2016.

Mison clarified that foreigners can only avail of the visa-free privilege if their passports are valid for at least six months beyond their intended period of stay.

“They should also present return tickets to their country of origin or onward tickets to their next country of destination,” he said.

In an interview with GMA News Online on Wednesday, BI spokesperson Antonette Mangrobang said foreigners from the 151 countries who wish to visit the country for less than 30 days do not have to pay anything to avail themselves of a visa-free entrance.

However, Mangrobang noted that foreign tourists who are subjects of deportation/blacklist orders of the Department and the Bureau of Immigration will not be admitted to the Philippines even if they belong to any of the countries included in the BI's visa-free entry list.

Meanwhile, Mison said based on existing bilateral agreements, nationals from Israel and Brazil will continue to be admitted for an initial stay of 59 days.

Mison said the new visa policy was adopted based on the circular that the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) issued last July 1.

The BI recently finished updating its computerized travel control systems in the different ports of entry to implement the new visa scheme. - with a report from Xianne Arcangel, VVP, GMA News

Editor's note: An earlier version of this story reported that people from 151 countries are now allowed to enter the country visa-free.

However, the Bureau of Immigration on Wednesday clarified that there has been no change in the number of visa-free countries (151 countries since 2010).

The revision that the BI made was to lengthen the allowed number of days people from yjr 151 countries can stay in the Philippines: 30 days instead of just 21. GMA News Online regrets the error.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I ve been looking at the Internet and now am more confused than ever.

In the past, I ve always booked a retun ticket, heavily outside the 21 day period and got an extension afterwards via a travel agent. Never had a problem with that, (arriving early August, leaving early December).

However, now they are enforcing the regulations more, I m wondering whether to book a throw away ticket too.

Theoretically, my retun or onward ticket, should be within the 21 day period, because technically they can refuse to give me an extension. Is that right? So, the way around that is a throwaway ?

Also, which is the cheapest throwaway at the moment?

No where on any BI site or Philippines consulate site does it say that the ticket has to be within the 21 days. They state clearly that an onward ticket is required. The only enforcing they are doing to my knowledge is the airlines must ensure you have an onward ticket. Some airlines do not understand that everyone is entitled to apply for extensions. If you have any problems it will be with the airline before you depart not when you arrive.

Technically if one is intending to stay longer than 21 days they are meant to obtain a visa before departure. The 21 days is visa free and basically an entry permit.

Perhaps print this out and carry with you incase the airlines are confused.

TOURIST (NON-RESTRICTED) ADMITTED INITIALLY FOR 21 DAYS MAY BE EXTENDED FOR ANOTHER 38 DAYS

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=43

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
No where on any BI site or Philippines consulate site does it say that the ticket has to be within the 21 days

The site does say:

no foreigner who holds a Philippine visa can invoke his right or privilege to enter the country.  He still has to pass inspection or assessment by our immigration officers who will determine and decide if he should be admitted

And having been on the receiving end of that I said:

You 'may' have trouble with overly officious Immigration officials when entering the country as each person get treated differently here.

And when they further say:

Basically, an arriving foreign tourist is deemed a public charge if he cannot explain his purpose in visiting the country, does not have hotel accommodation, return ticket and does not have sufficient funds to support his stay.

Then some officials take that as a license to hassle you, as they have hassled me and my partner (common-law-wife) on past trips.  Just because someone has not been the recipient of officious behavior by an Immigration official does not mean it does not happen and saying:  It does not say that on the Internet - BI Web Site, will get you absolutely nowhere with an officious Immigration official who has license to play God.  And thus I stand by my previous advice to:

Be polite and he/she will probably give you some lecture and let you in.  Or you can go to his/her superiors who will likely let you in.  Or you can just have a throw away ticket if you run across a cheap one.
Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Genius
Posted
Posted

Yeah, seeing as the ticket is outside the 59 extension period as well and my ticket is a super restricted business one with no changes allowed, I think I might get the throwaway, in the knowledge that there is a 99 per cent chance of anything being requested.

Curley
Posted
Posted

A ferry ticket to Malaysia used to be a very cheap onward ticket, no idea if it's still true.  Google it

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

No where on any BI site or Philippines consulate site does it say that the ticket has to be within the 21 days

The site does say:

no foreigner who holds a Philippine visa can invoke his right or privilege to enter the country.  He still has to pass inspection or assessment by our immigration officers who will determine and decide if he should be admitted

And having been on the receiving end of that I said:

You 'may' have trouble with overly officious Immigration officials when entering the country as each person get treated differently here.

And when they further say:

Basically, an arriving foreign tourist is deemed a public charge if he cannot explain his purpose in visiting the country, does not have hotel accommodation, return ticket and does not have sufficient funds to support his stay.

Then some officials take that as a license to hassle you, as they have hassled me and my partner (common-law-wife) on past trips.  Just because someone has not been the recipient of officious behavior by an Immigration official does not mean it does not happen and saying:  It does not say that on the Internet - BI Web Site, will get you absolutely nowhere with an officious Immigration official who has license to play God.  And thus I stand by my previous advice to:

Be polite and he/she will probably give you some lecture and let you in.  Or you can go to his/her superiors who will likely let you in.  Or you can just have a throw away ticket if you run across a cheap one.

Well Dave lets put this to bed with an answer from the BI sent to me today regarding the original question.  :thumbsup:

post-1-0-63565300-1374762830_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted (edited)
Conclusion, don't worry about it, just be prepared to deal with it if it comes up.

Had to do exactly that HoundDriver, I had to Deal with it. I got lucky because I was able to prove that I had a return ticket. Had I acted like I would have a few short years ago, I don't think I'd still be here :morning1:

Edited by Daydreamer
  • Like 2