Living In Philippines But Working Overseas

FredM
Posted
Posted

This topic was actually suggested to me by another member Jake.

I am sure I am not the only member who lives in the Philippines and works overseas.

It would be interesting to see where people are travelling to for work and to hear of their experiences with immigration, customs, airline travel not only in the countries being visited but also leaving and returning to Philippines.

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I am sure I am not the only member who lives in the Philippines and works overseas.

It would be interesting to see where people are travelling to for work and to hear of their experiences with immigration, customs, airline travel not only in the countries being visited but also leaving and returning to Philippines.

I have been basically been doing this for about 18 months. I am a FIFO worker so it is pretty easy from Australia. The contract I am on finishes probably November 2014. Hopefully I can get another FIFO swing like I have now, or I will have to make some hard decisions.

• Like 1

FredM
Posted
Posted

I have been basically been doing this for about 18 months. I am a FIFO worker so it is pretty easy from Australia. The contract I am on finishes probably November 2014. Hopefully I can get another FIFO swing like I have now, or I will have to make some hard decisions.

What swing or rotation are you on mate? Do you find getting flights to Phils that tie in with your work flights easy? I think Singapore have a daily flight to Manila from Perth. Do you find the travel takes up a large part of your R&R?

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

It is actually not that bad. I spend a total of 24 hrs travelling. My normal swing is always on Tuesdays . So I always depart on Wednesday and get back early on Mondays ;)

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have been working overseas for the last 7 years and residing in the Philippines. I have never had a problem coming back as long as I have a follow ticket (even if it is past the initial 21 day mark). Usually when they see my 8+ pages of PI entry/exit stamps and extensions, they just add another one...

Also, for people in the middle east.. Starting in October, Qatar Airways will have flights to Clark from Doha via Hong Kong. That would save me almost 7 hours of travel time (between the arrival time and travel from Manila to Subic).

• Like 1

FredM
Posted
Posted

That will be good for you. I take Qatar Airways but book direct through to Cebu. Only a quick change of terminals. Cebu immigration will often give you a new BB visa stamp even if you are not accompanied. Depends on the immigration officer and what sort of day they are having though. Won't need one next trip as will be under the 21 days.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I am here 9 years and ever since have been working abroad, 3 months at work and 2 months vacation/family in Philippines. I never faced a single problem with customs or immigration in Philippines neither any other country. Just follow the rules!!!

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I am here 9 years and ever since have been working abroad, 3 months at work and 2 months vacation/family in Philippines. I never faced a single problem with customs or immigration in Philippines neither any other country. Just follow the rules!!!

wow...that is a long swing, don't know If I could manage that one. There are lots of guys here that do something similiar...don't know how they do it :)

FredM
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately working in the Middle East is no longer considered a hardship and most jobs come with villa, 4x4, pool and family status etc. A far cry from the camps of yesteryear.

I get 30 days leave plus public holidays with two paid flights per year. No where near long enough for me to enjoy my home in Phils. I am searching for a month on month off position but there are few about apart from Iraq.